Post Your Rare Birds Pictures

ya those are awesome i just want a pair of cassowary to breed i know they are endangered and would love to help the species out. i dont even mind that you cant go into there cage i think there so cool they look like dinosaurs i love it, i am only 15 but love birds. i mainly raise chickens and ducks but i want those big birds like emus and ostriches,yet the top of my list is to get a pair of cassowarys i will probably get some emus first since there cheaper but when am older i am getting cassowarys and by the way what do you feed your adult birds and when you hatch eggs do you let the parents raise them or do you incubate

Lets just hope they hang on a bit longer before they place them on CITES. If that happens then it will screw up the sale/trade of them, and we will have to get permits to keep them, and have the USDA come out annually to inspect them and their enclosures. I feed them dogfood, catfish/koi feed, and chopped fruits. It's best to incubate the chicks artificially, but its not easy. Im still trying to perfect it. Doing it this way yields more eggs. The male can do a much better job hatching them, but they get so aggressive that its risky to get near the fence...they can accidentally stomp the chicks while trying to protect them by attacking the fence. It also changes the males nature, makes it harder to get him with the female for the next breeding season. For some reason the males love to start fights, they dont realize the larger female will win with no trouble at all.

Hey Jeff,
I saw a slide show today that a guy in England has the single wattled cassowaries.If you call Edmond Newton in Ma,he is in the APWS directory,he could tell you the guys name.He and Nat Mazzoni visited a bunch of collections over there.Maybe he has a few for sale.If they are able to ship to here.
In N.H.,Tony.

Hey Jeff,
I saw a slide show today that a guy in England has the single wattled cassowaries.If you call Edmond Newton in Ma,he is in the APWS directory,he could tell you the guys name.He and Nat Mazzoni visited a bunch of collections over there.Maybe he has a few for sale.If they are able to ship to here.
In N.H.,Tony.

You mean Joel? lol. I will definitely check into this. I didnt think anyone in England had them because the laws were so strict, but with permits I think they are possible to own there. Thanks Tony, I really appreciate the info! It always pays to know someone :)

You mean Joel? lol. I will definitely check into this. I didnt think anyone in England had them because the laws were so strict, but with permits I think they are possible to own there. Thanks Tony, I really appreciate the info! It always pays to know someone :)
I don't remember the collectors name as we saw lots of slides from different collectionsEdmund (Ned) Newton visited these collections and could tell you more.You wouldn't believe the birds they collect over there,seems that everyone had flamingoes.I have Neds contact # if you need it.I'm sure you've seen Ned Newton and Nat Mizzoni in the APWS bulletins.
In N.H.,Tony.

I don't remember the collectors name as we saw lots of slides from different collectionsEdmund (Ned) Newton visited these collections and could tell you more.You wouldn't believe the birds they collect over there,seems that everyone had flamingoes.I have Neds contact # if you need it.I'm sure you've seen Ned Newton and Nat Mizzoni in the APWS bulletins.
In N.H.,Tony.

I'll check my APWS directory. I do know that Walsrode Bird Park in Germany has one pair. They finally found a male for the ancient, yet beautiful female they have had forever. To my knowledge, they haven't been able to get them together yet. Most of the time Cassowaries want to kill one another rather than breed unfortunately.

Siamese Fireback I tried to represent all 4 food groups. LOL!
I love Siamese Firebacks. I dont see many of them anymore. Most of the Pheasant breeders I grew up knowing have died out sadly, and not many of these younger generations care about this stuff. I sold out of Pheasants a few years back to move and try focusing more on species that makes more money lol. But im really wanting to start getting pens set up and buying Pheasants again. Firebacks are at the top of my list, and Tragopans.

In N.H.,Tony.

Well it was worth a try, but the guy over there only has a Double Wattled Cassowary, same species as mine.

Back
Top Bottom