Postal System lost my chicks

I still don't understand though, when you say ps do you mean they literally went into the post office and said "heres some chickens, post them first class to balbalbla"?? Is that legal??

The post office is where we drop them off for shipment, but they are picked up and delivered via Express Mail.
If their destination is over a certain distance away, they are flown in the closest major airport to their destination and then trucked to the closest post office.
Perfectly legal here in the States and probably the fastest, safest way to get them from Point A to Point B. Usually 24-36 hour delivery time.
Shipping 2 week old chicks??? No way, I wouldn't do that on a bet. Too blasted risky at that age.

Postal service as in they were mailed? Would you not have to have a courier service for live animals?

I personally don't agree with posting animals, but that's me.

Thank God for the USPS.
They are the only ones that will ship chicks.
Without them, would people actually drive chicks across the country?

You have 6 miracle babies there. 3 days without food or water. That is a long time for any creature.

Mighty glad to hear 6 made it. Mr Lund sounds like a fine man to do business with too.

pt

I agree with your comment about Mr. Lund being a fine man to do business with. I was very impressed by his involvement in this whole thing. He is actually the one who finally found someone who could tell us what really happened. I would do business with him again in a heartbeat. The chicks were packaged very well, and I have no doubt all of them would have been perfectly fine if they'd gotten to me on time. His decision to send chicks over 2 weeks old I'm sure comes from experience. It's amazing to me that 6 of them survived.

Amen, ChickenCanoe. They are the only ones who will ship chicks. Without the USPS shipping them, what would we do? And I have talked to all the farm stores around here. Like it or not, they do not buy chicks locally. They order them from hatcheries and they travel by USPS. Our flocks certainly would not be so diverse, and I'll bet several breeds would probably be gone if no one could mail chicks. A part of me wants to make a big stink and get an animal rights group involved with the fact that the USPS and Fed/Ex let 3 animals die of dehydration. But then what happens to all the chicken breeders when the USPS says, fine, we won't ship chicks anymore? I do think (and hope) that my situation is rare. I guess we shall see what the future brings.

I still don't understand though, when you say ps do you mean they literally went into the post office and said "heres some chickens, post them first class to balbalbla"?? Is that legal??

Yes- we are required to use special shipping boxes with filtration paper, and they are marked vividly that they are live animals. They are handled separately from other packages and it's often very simple. I've shipped all over the country, and usually they'll make it 1200-2000 miles in under 24 hours. Now- shipping to less than 600 miles away is worse, because they would be trucked, and that takes far more time. I won't do that, but prefer to meet the person halfway.

I am so relieved. I hadn't posted earlier, but I'm really glad you got your package at last AND that not all the birds were dead. I am positive I would have have been extremely anxious and perhaps not able to be polite. Kudos to you!

Now, where are the pictures????

I am so relieved. I hadn't posted earlier, but I'm really glad you got your package at last AND that not all the birds were dead. I am positive I would have have been extremely anxious and perhaps not able to be polite. Kudos to you!

Now, where are the pictures????

YES!! I need a bit of cheering up and NEED to see some Nankins!!!

There they are! The bird on the right is happily stretching it's wings after the long journey! They rested, ate and drank for a few hours, then started preening, and preening, and preening! The pic was taken shortly after they arrived, so they may look a little haggard. I will send more pics tomorrow!

Back
Top Bottom