Pot Belly Pig Questions

Honestly, I probably would have done the same thing.
Maybe start fresh tomorrow, feed him in his house so that he sees its not going to hurt him well before bedtime. He's probably pretty stressed being away from his buddies for the first time, being in out of the cold tonight should make him more comfortable (just don't make a habit of it).
He's a cutie!

Honestly, I probably would have done the same thing.
Maybe start fresh tomorrow, feed him in his house so that he sees its not going to hurt him well before bedtime. He's probably pretty stressed being away from his buddies for the first time, being in out of the cold tonight should make him more comfortable (just don't make a habit of it).
He's a cutie!
Yea supposed to be a lot warmer today. But we feel this will be a great thing for bonding

Yeaaaa that’s not how we roll on our homestead. We would be a lot easier if we had gotte. Two sorry. But to each there own
I’m not saying it’s wrong to have sympathy for the animal…I just know it’s easier for the animal to learn the routine fast.
If this isn’t what’s gonna happen every night…don’t confuse the pig on its first night there.

You'd be surprised but small pigs can actually handle cold (and heat) better than large pigs. I wouldn't leave one out without shelter in below freezing. Until it gets used to it's supposed to sleep in it's house at night you might have to lock it up at night. Bringing it in the house is gonna teach it that is where you want it to sleep.
Remember pigs are really smart and if you reinforce bad habits now they are hard to break. Think I remember them supposed to have the IQ or something like a 3 or 4 year old kid. I see ya got a lil one already so you know how much trouble they can get into and how hard it is to stop bad habits. Unless you want a house pig put it out.
I get that. It we felt that the stress of being ripped from its squad was enough we planned on not getting g one but the other two were to mean for me to risk so we are working on dfinding him a age equal buddy then we. An take them outside

We've had a pair of kune kune piglets for about a month now - we have a greenhouse and garden they're in and out of all day. They are very clever, easy to train, and treat motivated. - kune kune are 'grazing' pigs and would be considered a potbelly breed, but not all potbellies may be grazers - they're a bit unique in that sense.

That being said, we have a mini bale in the greenhouse 24-7 and they do not touch it. To my understanding, pigs aren't actually very keen on hay, so may not touch your hay pellets, though they'd probably like it as bedding. If you have them around, it may not hurt to try, but they may just snub it.

Pigs aren't strictly diurnal, so may be up at night doing their piggy thing. Ours are locked in at night, so tend to sleep now... but dud stay up when we first got them. When the weather gets harsh enough, they will seek shelter though.

What did you get yours for? Ours are strictly 'orchard' pigs, pets and garden helpers. Did you get a look at their parents to get a general idea how big they'll get? There's quite a lot of variation in size.

Give him his food in the house he will know thats his home & where he gets food. I had the same issue. At least for alil while.

Back
Top Bottom