Pot luck?

cherylwillard1

Songster
9 Years
Feb 20, 2014
I got 6 chicks at Tractor Supply earlier this year. We lost one along the way. However, there were supposed to be 2 marans (black), two buffs (brownish red), and two americaunas (white and black, one of which is the one we lost). The speckled black chick LOOKS like a marans, but the other one is solid black, even her feet and crown and has a different body shape. First, can anyone id them for me for sure? Second, I've seen very large white and black ones called Delawares - is that what she is? There is also a little sebright rooster with a beautiful pea comb. The "chicks" are almost bigger than he is! :D

Attachments

• chicks and sebright.jpg
    chicks and sebright.jpg
    341 KB · Views: 36
I got 6 chicks at Tractor Supply earlier this year. We lost one along the way. However, there were supposed to be 2 marans (black), two buffs (brownish red), and two americaunas (white and black, one of which is the one we lost). The speckled black chick LOOKS like a marans, but the other one is solid black, even her feet and crown and has a different body shape. First, can anyone id them for me for sure? Second, I've seen very large white and black ones called Delawares - is that what she is? There is also a little sebright rooster with a beautiful pea comb. The "chicks" are almost bigger than he is! :D

Your white bird is a light brahma.
The black and white has feathered legs so I will go with Cuckoo Marans.

I thought those brown ones were sex links, too, but they were sold as orpingtons... They ACT like sex link chickens - bossy, curious, and generally energetic feeders. :D I still don't know about the solid black one.

Need some better pics. Close clear pics, broadside, front and top down.
Here are some. I got a couple others that weren't real clear. He moves a lot.

Attachments

• roadrunner1.jpg
    roadrunner1.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 19
  • roadrunner2.jpg
    roadrunner2.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 16
  • roadrunner3.jpg
    roadrunner3.jpg
    475 KB · Views: 13
I've traditionally ordered my chickens from a respectable hatchery, but we moved, and by the time we were settled, all the hatcheries were out of stock for the year. Hence, my considerably mixed and uncertain flock. Last time I ordered from Cackle Hatchery, 5 wyandotte hens, 5 barred rock hens, and a wyandotte roo. I got exactly what I asked for and had a great flock. However, I'm getting this one where I want it, little by little.

Back
Top Bottom