Potato and Amoeba *Graphic Pic*

Arztwolf

Songster
5 Years
Aug 5, 2014
SW Texas
Potato is, all should I put it, lacking in the "chicken social skills" department. She came with a shipment of 21 "Suprise Special" pullets from Ideal. For her first several weeks on earth I only knew her as the chick that kept to herself. But, when it came time for her and her little flock to go out to the big pen outside, the problems began. First, when had been outside for not even 3 hours, one of the other chicks pecked her till she looked like she had been scalped!

That required her to stay in isolation for several weeks till she was healed enough for me to introduce her to the 5 chicks I had kept in the brooder and that turned out to be the only survivors after a skunk took the rest. She did fine when she was confined with them in the small cage, but once they went outside the cockerel, Reggie, started flogging her and she just stood there with a "What do I do next!?" look on her face. She didn't act submissive nor did she fight back, she just stood there and took it. So that obviously wasn't going to work. Enter Amoeba.

Amoeba is a Bantam Silver Duckwing Phoenix (I hope I got that right) who I purchesed for $10 from a feedstore. The owner claims a local breeder comes and drops off birds every couple of weeks, I have no idea if thats the truth or not. She is WAAY smaller then Potato, but Potato respects her and loves her company. Amoeba will give her gentle little pecks when Potato does something "uncool" in chicken ettiquette (standing too close, not responding right, etc) and appears to be treating Potato (who is 6 weeks old, no clue how old Amoeba is) like she is *her* chick. They are both going to get their own pen and I may introduce Ratchet, my quirky Polish Roo, to them in the future.

Awe! They are adorable and their names are hilarious! I was going to name one of my kids "potato" too, but Husband said "no way." Lol It looks like you're taking very good care of them and I hope everything works out! Good luck!

Awe! They are adorable and their names are hilarious! I was going to name one of my kids "potato" too, but Husband said "no way." Lol It looks like you're taking very good care of them and I hope everything works out! Good luck!
gig.gif
Such a wasted opportunity! Think of the million's you kid could of made by starting his own brand of frozen french fries!

They are both so sweet! Hope they keep getting along well!
Well, turns out Amoeba can only take Potato in small doses.
sad.png
The stupid bird keeps attempting to eat Amoeba's tail
roll.png
and lets just say Amoeba does NOT like that. Ever seen that skit by Bill Cosby about the chocolate cake and how is wife turns into the devil when she finds out? Yeah, thats about what happens when Amoeba HAS HAD ENOUGH!

They are seperated right now, Amoeba loves it, but Potato missed her "friend". Tonight I am going to finish building their knew home so hopefully more space will solve the problem.

Back
Top Bottom