Potato Bags

marymac

Songster
11 Years
Jul 12, 2008
Northeast Ohio
I've just heard about fabric potato bags. I guess you put your potatoes into this cotton bag and microwave them and they are supposed to come out just like real baked potatoes. Has anyone here used them and how do they really work. Are they worth the effort of making your own or buying them?

Never used one, but they sell them on Etsy!
big_smile.png

I know several people that use them. I have one, but haven't remembered to try it yet.
I need to set it out so I remember.

edited.. Ok I googled these are they are the bomb digitty.. I am going to try and make one of them and will post my own personal opinion on them
smile.png

Last edited:
You know how bread gets all hard when you reheat it? For some reason these bags make it less so so you can eat it before your teeth crack on it.

And the taters come out fluffy like from the oven and not gummy like if you just microwave them.

I myself never heard of a potato bag before. Sounds interesting. I have made heating pads with a tea towl & whole grain rice...& boy does that do the trick for a hot long lasting heating pad. I know Mom always serves just made rolls from the oven wrapped in a tea towel when they're hot 'just' from the oven, (the towel placed in a serving bowl of course)... for large dinners when there are multiple rolls made, like holildays.
smile.png

"Why couldn't you just wrap the taters in a tea towel and put them in the micro?"

I did just this last night - out of curiosity. I wanted a baked potato to put in a salmon patty recipe so I scrubbed a small one well, wrapped it in a paper towel, then in a 100% cotton tea towel and microwaved it on full power for about 4 1/2 minutes. I turned the towel package every 60 seconds or so since I don't have a turntable. The potato when done was very hot, quite fluffy, with soft skin. I let it cool a bit then peeled it and mashed the potato with a fork to mix with the rest of the salmon patty ingredients. I used the towel folded over in a double thickness and left one end sort of open for steam to escape. It appears there was no damage to the towel. My MW oven is not one with very high wattage, but it works for me.

I've got plenty of leftover batting and quilters' cotton fabric, so I may make myself a potato bag. But then......where to store it???? LOL!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom