Potato Soup

I have a potato soup recipe that's a kind of pinch of this, dash of that, but I'll try to translate, lol.

I make a huge batch when I cook it, so you could easily halve or quarter the measurements, depending on how long you wanted to eat soup or how much you want to freeze.

I use red potatoes, or yukon gold's. Peel and dice up about 3 lbs, set aside.

Slice up a package of carrots, set aside.

Make a blond roux. I use 2 sticks of butter and 1 c. flour. Mix it until it gets to the "blond" stage, which is just a fancy term for a nice, dark yellow.

Add about a half gallon of milk, slowly stirring until it's well blended, then you can add the rest. If you dump all the milk in at once, it'll lump up on you.

Add potatoes & carrots, set to heat to medium, stirring occasionally.

Cook about a half pound of bacon until crisp, set aside. Dice an onion, add to the bacon fat, cook until they're clear, not crisp. Drain off the fat, add onions to the soup.

I run the bacon under a good, sharp knife until it's bacon-bit sized, then add the bacon.

I season with parsley, garlic powder, onion powder, a dash of chili powder, paprika, salt and pepper. I seaon to taste, so put in what you think you'll like.

Set to medium heat, and bring to a slow, rolling boil. Add 2 cans or 1/2 small box of chicken stock. Simmer uncovered until potatoes and carrots are tender. If it gets too thick on you, add more chicken stock.

I serve it with shredded cheese and baked sourdough. Good stuff.

I have substituted ham steak in place of the bacon, and that's excellent as well.

Em

here's a potato soup with a plus
I make it often during the winter months, and my family really loves it. Not sure how many of you can remember the days many years back when the govt gave away surplus cheese. This recipe started as a way to use up some of that cheese, they don't give it out any more, but the soup is still a good idea. it makes a huge pot, so have it for company.
I call it Golden Harvest soup.

6 cups of nice chicken stock
2 cups potato, cubed
1 cup celery, thin sliced
2 cups carrot, thin sliced
1 large onion, diced
simmer veggies in stock til crisp tender,
then throw in a bag of frozen chopped brocolli, or mixed brocoli with cauliflower.
Cook for about 10 minutes more til veggies are done.
To 6 cups milk, add about 1/4 cup flour and blend well.
add to the veggie mix, and bring slowly to a boil to thicken. reduce heat and slowly add one large block of velveeta cheese that you have cubed. once the cheese is melted, serve the soup with some of those dinner rolls that I read about in one of the other threads, maybe a nice salad. It's yummy.

Curliet, if you mean in the 70's, I remember.

In L.A. there was a large canned food warehouse, where the food that was in trucks which were in accidents was sold discounted. (Canned and boxed goods, dog food, and then they also had a section of produce, in a connected building, which was not discounted.) My husband and I went with his father, and a friend, every week.

I always thought that the govt. cheese was not to be sold, but it was for sale there for $5 for those large blocks. The thing that intrigued me, was that a grilled cheese made with that cheese tasted just like the grilled cheeses we had gotten in grade school. I guess we know now why they were not like ones made with any cheese our mom's had!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom