1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Potatoes

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by CalgaryFarmer, Nov 27, 2015.

1. CalgaryFarmer

CalgaryFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Can you give chickens a raw potatoe?

Is it better to cook? Of course I know the best answer will be: "fully baked and fully loaded will make them happiest".

2. Folly's place

Folly's place Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2011
    Yes, but not the green ones. Mary

3. CalgaryFarmer

Sorry, stupid question. By 'green' do you mean raw or green in colour?

4. CalgaryFarmer

Or not fully grown?

5. Hholly

Hholly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2015
    Amo, IN
    The green colored ones, and the "eyes" have solanine in them. It's toxic. But I think a lot hes to be ingested to have an effect.

6. HeritageGoose13

HeritageGoose13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2015
    I don't know about chickens, but ducks can have up to 60% of their diet be boiled potatoes with no affect on egg production.* So it is probably fine for chickens too.

Potatoes with green on them are toxic- the whole potato, not just the green part, so throw those out.

*Depending on breed. Some did fine on it and others did not.

7. Folly's place

Folly's place Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2011
    Some ducks lay 40 eggs per year, and some 300. I'll just bet that breed matters! Also the rest of their diet, and the potato variety. It's really not simple at all. Some non-green potatoes are fine, but I'd put them in the same category as scratch and other scraps. Mary

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by