1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Potatoes

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by rachelb, Mar 25, 2008.

1. rachelb

rachelb Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2008
    Oxfordshire, UK
    Hi, just wondering whether you can feed chickens potatoes. My Dad said he used to boil it all up (I premsume the peelings) and the chickens loved it. The other day a farmer said that potatoes for chickens was poisonous. I had some cooked potato in the fridge but was not sure whether it was safe.

I know one thing my ladies do like and that is porridge and strawberries! I boiled up some porridge oats and water and then added a couple of strawberries. The ladies could not eat it up fast enough!! Happy Easter from the other side of the pond! [​IMG]

2. greenmulberry

greenmulberry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2007
    Iowa
    I would feed cooked potatoes. I do it all the time.

Raw potatoes are not very digestible for many animals, and, if the skin has turned green it can contain variable amounts of toxins. In general, raw potatoes are not recommended, however, if they end up getting a little bit, I wouldn't worry about it. My chickens root through my compost pile and I am sure eat all kind of scraps.

3. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
  4. rachelb

Mar 6, 2008
    Oxfordshire, UK
    Quote:Thank you for your response. I will add cooked potatoes to their list of treats. Rachel

5. rachelb

Mar 6, 2008
    Oxfordshire, UK
    Quote:Thank you for your message and link. Wow, what a list of potential goodies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by