Potential copperhead bite, treatment?

Lulu-Dixon

☆ Hey Y'all ☆
Oct 17, 2020
North Carolina
Has anyone had experience with their peafowl being bitten by a copperhead? One of my hens was acting strangely (almost as if she was choking) and I walked over to see what was wrong with her and there was a copperhead striking repeatedly at my other hens right beside of us. I wouldn't have even seen him if I didn't have my glasses on. Perfectly camouflaged. She is very puffed up on her neck area and rolling her head around like she had food stuck or something. I've not seen her do this with snakes being around before so I'm wondering if she was bitten. There's nobody to call (vet wise) today. I'm not sure what or if there is anything I can do if she keeps acting this way??

Attachments

• 20210620_170246_exported_2085.jpg
    20210620_170246_exported_2085.jpg
    369.5 KB · Views: 18
Look through all her feathers and see if you can find any bite marks.
She jumped up to the highest bar in the aviary and I can't get up to her. I'm trying to get her to come to me but she isn't coming down even for her favorite treat. The others are acting normally. I might have to try and get a ladder in there

Update on our situation with Priscilla. Either she was not affected by the venom long-term, or she was not bitten. I couldn't find any marks BUT she is not the kind to let me flip her all around and poke thru all her feathers.:barnie She acted strangely for a few hours but by the next morning she was back to her old self, thankfully. We are loaded with snakes where I live so it's not abnormal to find them near my birds but she had never reacted that way before and I really thought she would die. I'm so happy that she is ok!!

Update on our situation with Priscilla. Either she was not affected by the venom long-term, or she was not bitten. I couldn't find any marks BUT she is not the kind to let me flip her all around and poke thru all her feathers.:barnie She acted strangely for a few hours but by the next morning she was back to her old self, thankfully. We are loaded with snakes where I live so it's not abnormal to find them near my birds but she had never reacted that way before and I really thought she would die. I'm so happy that she is ok!!

I'm glad she's doing better!

Back
Top Bottom