Potential "indoor" coop--worst idea ever?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by beakkeeper, Apr 3, 2013.

1. beakkeeper

beakkeeper Songster

Jul 20, 2008
    I just got 6 bantam chicks from TSC and they're already getting bigger and stronger, so I'm exploring different coop options. I have a large yard (for the city), but it's on the corner and pretty visible, so I wanted to keep the coop as small and close to the house as possible. The flock will be pared down to 3 birds at the most, so I was wondering if it would be possible to build a coop HERE:

[​IMG]

This is the view from outside the house, looking towards a little area about 4'x12'. My thought was to put the actual coop inside, in the basement, and put the door to the run out this little window. You can see the dryer vent on the right side.

[​IMG]

Here's a view from inside the basement. The workbench you see (full of junk) would form the base of the coop about 4 feet off the floor.[​IMG]

Here's an inside view of the window. Note the dryer vent going out and the window space to the right, where the door to the coop would be.

[​IMG]
    So the idea would be to build an enclosed space within the basement, with nest box access and a way to open up the whole thing for cleaning. There would be a ramp from the base of the coop up to the window and roosting poles for the hens.

Thoughts? Is this brilliant or the worst idea ever?

2. Hummingbird Hollow

Hummingbird Hollow Songster

Jul 1, 2011
    Colorado mountains
    I don't think this is the worst idea ever. You will need to design a coop that is as easy to clean as possible and then clean it extremely regularly...like scopping a litter box daily. Look into using sand on the coop floor rather than shavings and perhaps having an easy, pull out tray on the bottom, like a hamster cage, that you can pull out and scoop clean every day, otherwise the smell and the dust will start to become a problem. Even then, you might have a dust problem...perhaps making sure that the coop is taller than you'd consider necessary so that you can have adequate ventiliation, but have the ventilation so high up from the floor that not much dust would come out the ventilation openings. I'd worry about having a chicken coop so close to my laundry area, because that's the last place you'd want lots of dust, but I've had a cat box in my laundry room and I'm not sure that is a lot better.

3. nbenevento

nbenevento Songster

Nov 12, 2012
    From Southwestern, PA.
    I'm confused on one thing. If there was a storm, wouldn't the coop fill with water since the coop would technically be lower than the run? Or am I misunderstanding the set up?

4. gg706

gg706 Songster

Jul 5, 2011
    I don't want to be a downer but I do not think I would want my chickens in my house. I have brought 2 in the house before because they got eggbound, so I put them in the sink with warm water and they stunk up the house pretty terribly. After I clean my coop, if I do not cover my face with something I can smell chickens in my nose for a few hours. Not that they stink...but they do have a chicken smell. In a house it could possibly be considered "stinky". You will have to be relentless about keeping it clean. They also produce ALOT of waste, which getting rid of it without causing a problem will also be a headache.
    If you are allowed to have chickens I would build the coop somewhere else.
    If not, I would consider selling the house and moving to be able have chickens without having to worry about it.

1 person likes this.
  5. Moeru

Moeru In the Brooder

Jul 28, 2012
    I believe most places there is a required distance the coop must be from your house.
    This distance prevents chicken pests (mites, lice, similar insects) from making their home inside your house.

6. Don't do it. You will end up hating it. The dust alone will make you crazy. If your furnace etc is in the basement the dust could damage it. Sort term is fine, like for chicks, but an entire coop? I promise you will end up tearing it down.

7. laturcotte1

laturcotte1 Songster

May 22, 2010
    My first thought would be to set up the living space before purchasing the birds. My second thought if you are in the city limits and have to hide them I'm hoping you don't have roos. This is really a bad idea to have them in your basement. Sorry you asked.

8. QuietPony

QuietPony Chirping

I agree about the dust. It is way worse than I imagined. They practice flapping those little wings and it just flies everywhere.
    It sounds like a great idea in theory, but I can't imagine it being a good thing long term. I imagine that dust will go right through any sort of forced heating vents you have down there and easily coat your whole house.

Interesting idea though.

9. mandelyn

mandelyn Crowing

Aug 30, 2009
    Mt Repose, OH
    My Coop
    Yeah, the dust permeates everything. You would have to build it so tightly, that ventilation would be an issue because of having just the one window for outside air. You would have a much better time of it if you bought some privacy fencing to corner off an area, and building a small coop in the corner. But it depends on your home owner's insurance, and if they have the 25 ft set back rule. Using fencing and landscaping to shield a chicken area can get costly, but really it's the best option for everyone.

Evergreens hold their green year round, and help buffer noise. You also don't need a permit for "green" fencing, if you choose a variety that grows tall and thick, like Arborvitaes. Not sure what the rest of your yard is like, but shielding from the road is really a better option than a basement coop.

Poultry dust is heavy and thick, sticks to everything, bad for lungs, both yours and the birds. You want things as light and airy as possible while retaining weather proofing and preventing drafts.

10. keirys

keirys Songster

Mar 27, 2013
    Mid Michigan
    Don't do it !!! When I had 7 baby chicks inside my house the dust was aweful. Although I cleaned there brooser everyday they still managed to stink up the house [​IMG]. I could not wait to get them outside !!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: