Potential Rooster

FBMcrazy8

Free Ranging
Jun 4, 2022
So, I believe I might have at least one rooster on my hands. And originally I was thinking to put potential roosters in their own house and separate them. But now I’m wondering if I should. What is everyone’s thoughts? Do you do it? What’s the benefits you have to it? What’s the cons?

I like raising them all together. They can typically get most of the Peking order established before they get old enough to hurt each other. And you end up with a flock that knows and trusts each other. If any of my hens are free ranging without a rooster around, they tend to be a lot more skittish. And it leaves options open for down the road like hatching your own chicks.

For me, there aren’t any cons unless you got straight run and you end up with too many roosters.

I like raising them all together. They can typically get most of the Peking order established before they get old enough to hurt each other. And you end up with a flock that knows and trusts each other. If any of my hens are free ranging without a rooster around, they tend to be a lot more skittish. And it leaves options open for down the road like hatching your own chicks.

For me, there aren’t any cons unless you got straight run and you end up with too many roosters.
Well I ordered a rainbow order from a hatchery of just hens. However I do know that they only guarantee 90% accuracy. So with ordering 15 and getting 18, I’m expecting at least 3 roosters. Is it bad to put more than one rooster with the hens? I know roosters can fight and probably will but if there is more than one roo, and they have been together since day one…will that help?

Well, typically you would want one rooster to ten hens depending on breed. I started with 10 hens. When they were 6 months old, I ordered 25 more. I ordered 15 pullets and 10 straight run. I ended up with 4 roosters to 31 hens.

I’m assuming because they grew up together, my roosters never fought. Some pecking here and there but no injuries. That ratio worked for me for a long time. My flock got bigger and smaller. Right now, I have 4 roosters and 18 hens. One rooster from the original 4 and 3 that my hens hatched. The coop is peaceful and the only issue is I had to put saddles on two of the most “popular” girls.

BUT I know my situation is not typical. I would raise them together and time will tell how many roosters you have. It will also tell you if you even have an issue. I would ask around and find a place for any extra roosters to go or have a separate area for them. Maybe you’ll end up with only 2 roosters. They can only guarantee 90% but it could be 100% or 95%.

Now wether or not the chickens free range will help with this decision. Mine free range every day so 4 roosters aren’t “cooped” up 24/7. If they were, I’d expect to have to get rid of some.

Well, typically you would want one rooster to ten hens depending on breed. I started with 10 hens. When they were 6 months old, I ordered 25 more. I ordered 15 pullets and 10 straight run. I ended up with 4 roosters to 31 hens.

I’m assuming because they grew up together, my roosters never fought. Some pecking here and there but no injuries. That ratio worked for me for a long time. My flock got bigger and smaller. Right now, I have 4 roosters and 18 hens. One rooster from the original 4 and 3 that my hens hatched. The coop is peaceful and the only issue is I had to put saddles on two of the most “popular” girls.

BUT I know my situation is not typical. I would raise them together and time will tell how many roosters you have. It will also tell you if you even have an issue. I would ask around and find a place for any extra roosters to go or have a separate area for them. Maybe you’ll end up with only 2 roosters. They can only guarantee 90% but it could be 100% or 95%.

Now wether or not the chickens free range will help with this decision. Mine free range every day so 4 roosters aren’t “cooped” up 24/7. If they were, I’d expect to have to get rid of some.
Thank you for the ratio info! I know they guarantee 90% but it could be more accurate. But I’m being I guess optimistic, and anticipating 3 Roos. There could be more too really if they messed up.

I couldn’t get rid of any of them. We started the hen house in an area where we can expand and we will have plenty of room. I just didn’t want to give the Roos their own home if I didn’t have to. They all seem to be getting a long right now. Granted I’m sure that it will probably change.

Let me ask you this as well, how likely are you to crack an egg with a baby in it? It sounds silly but my daughter said that when she was at her “dads” and step moms, they had chicken(no longer have) and they cracked open and egg and there was one. Now I don’t know much about it. I don’t know if they weren’t paying attention to the eggs and hens, or if there was really one in the egg or if there was a little blood…I don’t know. It was her and a step sister. I just have a fear of that anyway and then my daughter says this and I just don’t know. Their dad is lazy and doesn’t really leave his room so I’m sure he wasn’t paying attention. However, his wife is more attentive and I believe she took care of them. This particular morning though I believe she was at work. So I’m really not sure what all happened or what she really seen. 🤷‍♀️

Oh and forgot to add, they probably won’t be free range for a while. We bought the property last year in August and just moved in in March. We had some remodeling that HAD to be done first. But anyway, we just got a majority of traffic to slow down for our kids….and I would hate for these new chickens to be hit. We are also pretty open area that it probably won’t be very safe from predators. I think after they get a bit older and we figure them out maybe I can start free ranging, which I would love to do. But their fun will be rather big. I think I put in another thread that it would be like 15x30 or something but my husband and I have discussed making it even bigger. And if we do end up with all of them in one house, we have plenty of room to expand the run even more.

Blood can be in an egg. It’s normal. Safe to eat even, but very unappetizing. I don’t eat any eggs that have blood in them. It’s just a blood vessel that broke during the egg making process. An egg would have to be laid on for a week or two to have anything that resembles a baby chick. If you collect eggs daily or every other day, there’s no chance of it happening.

Sounds like a good plan with the run. If you do have too many roosters, hopefully you will only have one too many a single rooster is easily housed in a small area until you figure something out for him.

Blood can be in an egg. It’s normal. Safe to eat even, but very unappetizing. I don’t eat any eggs that have blood in them. It’s just a blood vessel that broke during the egg making process. An egg would have to be laid on for a week or two to have anything that resembles a baby chick. If you collect eggs daily or every other day, there’s no chance of it happening.

Sounds like a good plan with the run. If you do have too many roosters, hopefully you will only have one too many a single rooster is easily housed in a small area until you figure something out for him.
Thank you!! You have been very helpful!! I will be housing the roosters with chickens. Obviously depending on how many I have as to how many I will have to put up else where.

I have 2 males with 21 hens and I've got a lot of rooster wear and bare backs that need saddles.

The 1-10 ratio is about fertility in a commercial pen-breeding system. It doesn't create any guarantees that the males will get along.

Are these your first chickens? Many people recommend that you keep a hen-only flock for a year to gain chicken experience before trying to deal with a male.

I have 2 males with 21 hens and I've got a lot of rooster wear and bare backs that need saddles.

The 1-10 ratio is about fertility in a commercial pen-breeding system. It doesn't create any guarantees that the males will get along.

Are these your first chickens? Many people recommend that you keep a hen-only flock for a year to gain chicken experience before trying to deal with a male.
It is my first. However, I won’t get rid of the roosters. My husband has helped raise chickens with his grandpa and my mom grew up with them. There is really only a sign of one rooster so far. Wattles are starting to grow already and it’s not even 3 weeks yet.

Back
Top Bottom