potentially aggressive drakes??

With you are describing with the dog and in the pool is the beginning of mating behavior. Drakes are extremely hormonal and become a bit sex crazed as teenagers. Water seems to inspire mating behavior, and they are most likely trying to mount one another in the pool. The biting of the dog may very well be an attempt at mounting her. Your boys are love struck.
ohh okay. thank you. is there any way i could help this? should i remove the water or get some hens for them or should i leave them alone?

if you get girls you will need 10+, to prevent overmating since you have two boys.
my current yard isn't big enough for 10+ ducks-
but i do plan on moving next year and ill have a bigger yard so i can have more ducks.
i guess i can remove the pool and see if it helps idk

the ducks still need to be able to swim. if not they could get wet feather
oh okay i won't remove the pool then.
im just worried about them possibly hurting themselves or others. i read about how they can be a bit extreme in their mating behavior..

Last edited:
Your boys are essentially teenagers experiencing their sex-drive for the first time - everything riles them up, every chance to display dominance will be taken, they're going to be nightmares this year and possibly also the coming spring/ their first "mating season". They'll eventually get over that hurdle though, and should mellow out (at least a bit). Even the sweetest of dogs have breaking points where they just dont want to put up with any more crap, and they dont always realize how big/strong they are. She may have hurt them unintentionally or something else could have gotten them or they might have hurt each other. I'd not leave them with the dog unattended for a little while more just to be safe (and to give her a break - just because she's not ripping their heads off doesnt mean she *likes* what they're doing to her. Best not to over-extend her patience)

If they're getting a bit too pushy with each other in the pool you could fence off a small area around it (doesnt have to be anything super secure or fancy, some garden stakes and chickenwire is fine) so that each one can have a little alone time in it without being fully separated from the other (so they dont freak out). Once they've each had their turn either take the pool away for the rest of the day, or take away the barricade and let them have it out with each other if thats what they choose (if they've already had a good swim they might opt to stay out of the pool if getting back in means confrontation)

Back
Top Bottom