Potentially infected hatching eggs

iiberis

In the Brooder
Jun 17, 2018
My family unfortunately bought sick chicks and after doing everything we could to treat them we were forced to cull them after several could not kick what appeared to be respiratory illness and several others developed concerning symptoms that spread and threatened the biosecurity of our property.

My question has to do with hatching eggs we bought from one person we also bought chicks from. We know several illnesses can be passed to chicks from the hen through the eggs and we are not 100% sure what the illness even was or which chicks first had it so the eggs are suspect. After these new chicks hatch how long should we quarantine them waiting for possible symptoms to show?

http://www.thepoultrysite.com/articles/2477/vertically-transmitted-health-issues-in-poultry/
Salmonella pullorum and S. gallinarum
Kills chicks after five days. Mortality can be 80 per cent.
Mycoplasma

Avian encephalomyelitis (AE)
Vertically infected day–old chicks show lameness up to 80 per cent with soft bones.
The spread is rapid and lasts for two weeks but causes heavy damage in chicks.

Maybe look into the symptoms a bit more on what the symptoms of these are and decide if you think these could be what the chicks had. The big thing I would be worried about is the contaminated brooder spreading it to the new chicks.

http://www.thepoultrysite.com/articles/2477/vertically-transmitted-health-issues-in-poultry/
Salmonella pullorum and S. gallinarum
Kills chicks after five days. Mortality can be 80 per cent.
Mycoplasma

Avian encephalomyelitis (AE)
Vertically infected day–old chicks show lameness up to 80 per cent with soft bones.
The spread is rapid and lasts for two weeks but causes heavy damage in chicks.

Maybe look into the symptoms a bit more on what the symptoms of these are and decide if you think these could be what the chicks had. The big thing I would be worried about is the contaminated brooder spreading it to the new chicks.
Thank you this was good information. It appeared to be respiratory and then possibly a secondary infection which caused other symptoms in some of the chicks. We burned almost everything they had come in contact with or heavily sanitized it including the room they were in.

Thank you this was good information. It appeared to be respiratory and then possibly a secondary infection which caused other symptoms in some of the chicks. We burned almost everything they had come in contact with or heavily sanitized it including the room they were in.
Awesome. Im not sure i would be able to bring myself to burning stuff i could use, but good job! Keeping your birds safe is super important.
:thumbsup

(Sorry it took so long to respond my notifications havent been working right)

Awesome. Im not sure i would be able to bring myself to burning stuff i could use, but good job! Keeping your birds safe is super important.
:thumbsup

(Sorry it took so long to respond my notifications havent been working right)
It was not an easy decision but anything we felt couldn’t be easily sanitized was just too much of a risk.

As an update, only one of the eggs hatched and was immediately put into quarantine. Unfortunately on day seven the chick stopped eating and passed overnight even with attempts to help... We’re unsure if it was illness or if it simply became lonely despite our best efforts to keep it company and give it comfort and was just too far gone...

It was not an easy decision but anything we felt couldn’t be easily sanitized was just too much of a risk.

As an update, only one of the eggs hatched and was immediately put into quarantine. Unfortunately on day seven the chick stopped eating and passed overnight even with attempts to help... We’re unsure if it was illness or if it simply became lonely despite our best efforts to keep it company and give it comfort and was just too far gone...
:hugs

Back
Top Bottom