Potentially Interesting Thread

Hannah'sPlaidChickens

In the Brooder
12 Years
Oct 30, 2007
While watching a show a few nights ago called "The Great Race" (anybody familiar with this show?) I was very upset to see how the people, who were racing through a place in Africa, treated the animals. First they had to capture a chicken, and place it in a mesh bag. The chickens were sometimes tossed by teams into these bags, where they were obviously in pain because of their danger cries (you know... brock, brock, brock, brock, BaROCK, brock, brock, brock....). Other teams had to load up a bicycle with random items, one being a baby goat. The goat was hobbled and tied down inside a laundry basket. They still had those cute little "baby cries", and I felt super bad for them. The cameramen kept shooting shots of people riding bicycles down the road, with chickens literally packed together. They were hanging from his seat with their feet ties to his seat, their heads just inches away from the cement, which was flying by at high speeds. There were at least twenty of them; much like the pictures I found which I pasted below. (I hope it turns out!!!)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/cumbria/content/images/2005/07/01/chickens_470x312.jpg

When I asked my mom about this, she said something like. "Don't worry honey. It's just their culture. In Africa they just consider them food."
At first I was satisfied. I mean, we treat animals differently, but I didn't want to sound like I knew our way is the best (being only 15 I haven't treaveled much!) the only problem was.... four minutes later a commercial flashed on. The picture was of an ovbiously African woman, plowing a garden. She was looking very sad and then text popped up on the bottom of the screen. It read :
HELP STOP AFRICAN WOMEN SLAVERY! CALL ***-***-**** TO HELP!
That's when it hit me. People travel to Africa to tell those people about our religion, our women rights, and our government. But as anybody ever thought to tell them about animal rights? I mean maybe they have never stopped to think about if the chickens/baby goats are afraid, hurt, and panicked. Maybe we could change this abuse.... Does anybody have any insight? Or do you know anybody or an organization who is already spreading the word to Africa about animal rights? Or ideas on how we could change things... (not us personally, but ways we might try if we could, I mean!)

Last edited by a moderator:
Uhh, hun hate to tell you we dont treat chickens here any different then they do there, infact I think the chickens in African get treated better then all the produce chickens here in the U.S.

Edited to say: Sorry I had to re-read that a coupke times now I understand what you said.

We cant really tell africa what to do... there rules are different there laws everything..they probaly dont even have animal rights.

Last edited by a moderator:
I watch that show, it's The Amazing Race. I was disturbed at the way they handled the chickens. I wondered how long they stayed in the mesh bags without water. The baby goats made me want to cry.

That whole show made me sick - I hope they won't be in Africa on the next show.

I agree with Silkielovr, chickens are treated ALOT worse here then they do in Africa. Go to kentuckyfriedcruelty.com and watch some of the videos that they have. It is nasty though.
hmm.png

Young lady, at the risk of sounding old-fashioned...your parents must be very proud to have such a caring and well-spoken daughter. Very well put!
I don't watch the show, watch very little t.v. in fact. I also am not aware of any such organizations in Africa. Though I try to think globally about all the earth's problems, I see so many right here in the US and I wind up worrying and working on those more than anything.
One thing I do know for sure. If I watched a nationally televised program that showed such disregard for animals I would be on the phone/computer to not only the television network, but also their sponsers. I don't have any need to be entertained at the expense of other humans or animals.
As to finding an organization where you might help, try a good search engine. Try search phrases such as 'animal cruelty+africa'. Good luck and keep up your attitude. It's a refreshing change from the usual mememe generation babble.

There is an OUTSTANDING organization called Heifer International. The money you donate goes to buy animals for villages. These people are educated about how to care for an animal and why it is worth far more alive than dead. They are required to prove they can care for it adequately and then give the first offspring to another village whom they have taught how to care for it. They pick animals that are indiginous to the area. You can pick whether your money goes toward cow, ox, ducks, geese, chickens, goats, water bufalo etc. The kids and I don't exchange Christmas gifts. We take the money we would spend any given year (some years more than others) and donate it to Heifer International.

While it is not exactly an animal rights organization per se, the result is the animals are very well cared for and treasured for the ongoing resources they provide ie milk, eggs, wool, babies ets. Hope that helps.

I saw that show too.

I thought the chickens in the bike basket, and in the mesh bag were a little sad. But they were treated way better than their American counterparts, at least those that are destined for the table.

I think it says a lot about OUR society and our schizo relationships with animals. We have pet animals that we pamper and spend oodles of money on. Heck, my veterinary bills alone this year could probably cover the expenses of raising an African child through the age of 18. And then we have our animals on factory farms who we never even see before they are shrink wrapped on the grocery store shelf. Those animals live in such horrifying conditions that their owners would never allow a video camera near their operation.

Given the resources that the Africans have I think the animals that were seen on the show were treated with more respect than we treat our food animals here. Such are the realities of living and needing to eat.

What an intelligent young lady you are!! I didn't see that show nor do I watch much TV aside from Jeopardy (my weakness). However I agree with gritsar
, I too would write the network,and the sponsers and let them know that this upset you! That you beleive that it is not proper.
Once again you are a well spoken and insighful young lady! Stand by your convictions you can make a difference! I'm sure your parents are very proud!!!

This is how I see it:
It's a matter of respect for another life. And I eat meat, but try to eat animals locally raised and butchered, as I so disapprove of factory farms.
But another part is that what you saw wasn't about food or what people will eat to survive - it sounds like a grotesque torture for entertainment.

The US government spent over $500,000 in the 90s to support a study to show people who are cruel to animals are more likely to be cruel to people. Duh.

Isn't it ironic that on a reality show, you would see the reality of animal cruelty for the purpose of entertainment! Maybe the first sign of reality that I have heard of from reality tv.

One suggestion, Dont watch that kind of TV show, in fact dont watch much TV at all. In my humble opinion there is very little value to network tv, or cable tv for that matter.
Yes you should complain to the network and the sponsers, but then you have to admit that you watch it ! All kidding aside you had the snap to recognize the bad behavior so there is hope for the future! But you have to realize that even human life is not valued in Africa, so Tv shows can get away with a lot more than they can here. But it sells here unfortunately!

Back
Top Bottom