Poult with odd gait, leg turned out?

Alluundra

Songster
May 11, 2019
Payette, Idaho
7 week old poults and only recently has this occurred. It looks and feels like her leg is turned sideways and when feeling the joint where connects to the body it feels like that's where the joint is sideways and down the rest of the leg is the way it should be. Again this is very recent. Yesterday afternoon she was walking normally. It doesn't seem like it bothers or hurts her and she can still fly but landing is tricky(fly as in maybe a few inches off the ground) is there anything I can do or should do to help? The only vet that sees poultry is more than an hour away and very expensive. I did get a video, a few actually. Tough to get a good angle to see the gait. Will try to get them posted in a few minutes.

Edit: Add links

Last edited:
Is there any swelling of either hock?
leg-anatomy_1-jpg.1893470

We are doing a combination grower yard free range for food and water is an apple cider mixture which they usually do well with. The other bird has had no problems but has also been better with flying than the golden. We keep the 2 of them in a brood box all the older birds have their own coop.

Have only seen minimal swelling in hock turned. It's the knee that feels like it's rotated out. Felt both birds legs and I couldn't find any abnormality until I got to the knee joint.
Really sounds like a slipped tendon aka perosis. The tendon will need to be manipulated back in place and secured there. Give vitamin B complex at the rate of 1/2 capsule or tablet dissolved in one gallon of water. Do not add anything else to it. Make it the only source of water. It should be made fresh daily.

You say you are feeding grower feed but what kind of grower feed? If it is chicken grower, it does not have the levels of lysine, methionine and niacin that turkey poults need. It is the insufficient levels of niacin and thiamine that can cause perosis.

Really sounds like a slipped tendon aka perosis. The tendon will need to be manipulated back in place and secured there. Give vitamin B complex at the rate of 1/2 capsule or tablet dissolved in one gallon of water. Do not add anything else to it. Make it the only source of water. It should be made fresh daily.

You say you are feeding grower feed but what kind of grower feed? If it is chicken grower, it does not have the levels of lysine, methionine and niacin that turkey poults need. It is the insufficient levels of niacin and thiamine that can cause perosis.
Sorry it's poultry grower, the recommended turkey food by the hatchery.

Back
Top Bottom