Poultry 4H meeting ideas / leader & parent discussion thread

Good luck! I know your pain!
smile.png
I am community leader, rabbit leader, poultry leader, dog leader, goat leader, beef leader, co-swine leader, cooking and oh cr** pretty much any thing animals! I need more project leaders!!!!! We have about 40 kids as well. Oh I forgot, mini horse leader as well, thank god someone else is doing the riding! Just shoot me.

Good luck! I know your pain! I am community leader, rabbit leader, poultry leader, dog leader, goat leader, beef leader, co-swine leader, cooking and oh cr** pretty much any thing animals! I need more project leaders!!!!! We have about 40 kids as well. Oh I forgot, mini horse leader as well, thank god someone else is doing the riding! Just shoot me.

You deserve a medal!! That's a LOT to take on!!​

Tell me about it, no metals though, just naps!!!!!
smile.png
I have found ways to combine some things as well though. My husband does the archery and outdoor life. My family literally bleeds green. Ackkkkkk!

Quote:
bow.gif
I was almost the goat leader too, then my son changed his mind about that one! Thank goodness!
th.gif
I am going to save this post forever to show my husband whenever he says I'm doing too much! LOL He has yet to hear that I'm the Western District Director of the Ameraucana Breeders Club! shhh don't tell!!
hide.gif
lau.gif

Last edited:
I got asked to be our clubs poultry leader this year. So far I don't think that any signed up for poultry other than my own.
sad.png
In the 3 yrs prior that we've done poultry, we've not had a single poultry meeting. I don't know if there even was a leader those years.

Quote:
When I was in 4-H poultry (back when) the "leader" would send us a packet of info in the mail twice a year and call those our meetings. I was lucky enough to have a breeder that was a master breeder who helped me with my project. On the other hand my mom was our sheep leader and held monthly meetings. Every member achieved at least one proficiency level each year, did a couple demonstrations, and in show season held weekly showmanship practices. If you get a group going strong and make it alot of fun the kids will join, the sheep group had over 30 members (up from 7) by the time she retired as leader.

My bf and I are looking at starting a poultry group this year. There are only a couple of groups in the county and non show outside of County Fair. We have a couple kids that want to start exhibiting poultry if we get a group started and take them along to APA shows. After all its not like I don’t already have enough to do already
lau.gif
. I am going to have to save all of these great ideas for that, and I may adapt some of them for goats.

The meeting went great - thanks for all the ideas everyone. All of the older kids ended up doing a "coop of dreams" design, while the younger kids did the activity pages. Everyone seemed to enjoy themselves, and the coops started getting a little silly by the end, with hot tubs and waterslides...lol.

This is my 2nd year as the poultry leader, and I've gone from 4 to 8 kids. Right now we are doing one meeting per month besides the general club meeting, and we rotate every other month as a showmanship practice with birds, and every other month is some kind of educational meeting. The last educational meeting each of the kids had the entire month before the meeting to research a chicken disease and then present it to the rest of the group. Had some really creative presentations, one of my 3rd graders did a power point presentation on the computer!! It was great! All the pictures were his own illustrations too! Then we had an open discussion about biosecurity and predators, etc. The kids really seem to get into it and have lots of great ideas when it's in a discussion format like that rather than me just lecturing information at them.

I think that next month we'll do the fingerpainting to reinforce the biosecurity issue, and then watch a video I have.

I think I'll rename this thread, and it would be cool if we could keep it going as a resource to support each other as 4H leaders/parents....
wink.png

Wow! That sounds great!

IDK, the saddest thing I think is that our county fair is awful in regards to poultry. My kids don't want to show there as they feel it's wasting their time, which sadly has been true so far. I'm just torn. I think they should because I'm the clubs poultry leader and I really, really want to get more kids involved. At the same time, we've now been doing poultry long enough that I know worse than wasting time, it's not safe for their birds.

When the poultry superintendent doesn't even "get-it", it's kind of hard to get kids, much less their parents into it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom