Poultry Breeds of Spanish Ancestry

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Lacy Blues, Feb 9, 2014.

1. Are you asking about the bird or the egg?

2. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop

3. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    As promised, a picture of the eggs I have ready for shipping.

One of the PPenes lays a Strawberry colored egg. The egg is dark brown when wet:

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. gameandmore

gameandmore Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2013
    Fort Worth

Well in the standard for the WFBS it says the adult roo should weigh 8lb. Minorcas are larger than the spanish tho.

1 person likes this.
  5. Yep, the standard calls for 8 pounds on a cock bird and 6-1/2 for the hen. In Andalusians, its 7 pounds for the cock and 5-1/2 for the hen.

I haven't weighed any of my hens (need to do that) but I have a cockerel that is 7 lb 8.4 oz so he's a good size. I like his type but his lacing is barely there. He is in a pen with a couple of larger girls that have mossy black with good heavy lacing on their backs, its clearer everywhere else though. So, I'm trying to find a balance between these birds. Maybe I can get some very nicely laced birds with a clean ground color on them. I'm always hoping!

6. cooliechick

cooliechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi...... I'm finally going to be able to post. Don't know what I was doing wrong, but I sure couldn't do so. I have acquired 3 Partridge Penedesenca hens. I've had to order chicks to get a cock so in the mean time, they are with a Copper Maran Roo. Right now, I have 24 fertile eggs in my incubator so at least my hens are fertile and the Roo's new name is "Romeo". I've got two more weeks before hatch date. I'm excited, but, really more anxious to have the baby chicks (shipping date is April 7th) I ordered grown and to have a Pene roo.

I'm reading all I can find on the Penedesenca, and, hoping I can add another color in the near future. Will have to build a new chicken house first, though.

Woo Hooo.... I'm posting.........

Last edited: Mar 18, 2014
  7. Well, I hope I didn't kill all my chicks off!

When I got up this morning and checks the temps in the hatcher, it was at 102. I remember last night, before going to bed, I checked it and it was 101. I turned it down (or so I thought). Sometimes I get confused as to which way to turn the darn thing and I'm afraid I may have turned it up instead! [​IMG] I have no idea how long they were at that temperature. I candled them after taking them out so they could cool down and there was still movement in most of them but most of the veins don't look as good as they did last night. I'm so aggravated I could just scream!
    It would probably be a really good idea for me to get a digital controller! [​IMG]

Last night I had checked weights and candled them to see how they were doing. Had one quitter at what I figure was day 12 or 13. On the average, the eggs are underweight by .08 oz. each. I hope that's not too much. I've been keeping the humidity around 40% in hopes to correct what I did to them those days without any humidity at all. When I first started weighing them on day four, they were down by .03 each. These numbers are from my calculations of a 13% loss over 21 days and we are on day 16 today.

8. Hangtown Farms

Hangtown Farms Overrun With Chickens

May 19, 2012
    PLACERVILLE CALIFORNIA
    welcome cooliechick and good luck with the chicks
    check out the penedesencausa.com site for pictures and breeders.
    They are a wonderful breed

9. Hangtown Farms

Hangtown Farms Overrun With Chickens

May 19, 2012
    PLACERVILLE CALIFORNIA
    102 and hopefully you will be ok. this happened to my old cheap boor a lot and I would still get chicks

10. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    I would think they will be fine! [​IMG] what all is in the bator Lacy Blues?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by