Poultry Breeds of Spanish Ancestry

Hi...... I'm finally going to be able to post. Don't know what I was doing wrong, but I sure couldn't do so. I have acquired 3 Partridge Penedesenca hens. I've had to order chicks to get a cock so in the mean time, they are with a Copper Maran Roo. Right now, I have 24 fertile eggs in my incubator so at least my hens are fertile and the Roo's new name is "Romeo". I've got two more weeks before hatch date. I'm excited, but, really more anxious to have the baby chicks (shipping date is April 7th) I ordered grown and to have a Pene roo.

I'm reading all I can find on the Penedesenca, and, hoping I can add another color in the near future. Will have to build a new chicken house first, though.

Woo Hooo.... I'm posting.........
Welcome to BYC cooliechick!

Well, I hope I didn't kill all my chicks off!

When I got up this morning and checks the temps in the hatcher, it was at 102. I remember last night, before going to bed, I checked it and it was 101. I turned it down (or so I thought). Sometimes I get confused as to which way to turn the darn thing and I'm afraid I may have turned it up instead!
he.gif
I have no idea how long they were at that temperature. I candled them after taking them out so they could cool down and there was still movement in most of them but most of the veins don't look as good as they did last night. I'm so aggravated I could just scream!
It would probably be a really good idea for me to get a digital controller!
barnie.gif

Last night I had checked weights and candled them to see how they were doing. Had one quitter at what I figure was day 12 or 13. On the average, the eggs are underweight by .08 oz. each. I hope that's not too much. I've been keeping the humidity around 40% in hopes to correct what I did to them those days without any humidity at all. When I first started weighing them on day four, they were down by .03 each. These numbers are from my calculations of a 13% loss over 21 days and we are on day 16 today.

102 will not kill them:

A review by H. Lundy of research carried out by a number of scientists over many years
identified five temperature zones each of which is characterized by its major affect on the
developing embryo. These zones are not clear cut. There is some overlapping and the time for
which the embryo is exposed and the age of the embryo blur the limits.
Lundy’s five incubation Temperature Zones:-

Zone of heat injury

Zone of hatching potential

Zone of disproportionate
development

Zone of suspended
development

Zone of cold injury
power.JPG

In common with most scientific work on incubation, this data assumes an incubator with a fan
(virtually no temperature differences within the incubator) and was based on chicken eggs.
These zones are further explained as follows:

Zone of heat injury (above 40.5°C/104.9°F)

At continuous temperatures above 40.5°C (104.9°F) no embryos would be expected to hatch.
However the effect of short periods of high temperature are not necessarily lethal. Embryos
up to 6 days are particularly susceptible, older embryos are more tolerant. For example,
embryos up to 5 days may well be killed by a few hours exposure to 41°C (105.8°F) but
approaching hatching time they may survive temperatures as high as 43.5°C (110°F) for
several hours.

Zone of hatching potential (35 - 40.5°C/104.9 - 84.5°F)

Within a range of 35 to 40.5°C (84.5 - 104.9°F) there is the possibility of eggs hatching. The
optimum (for hens) is 37.8 °C (100.4°F), above this temperature as well as a reduced hatch
there will be an increase in the number of crippled and deformed chicks. Above 40.5 °C
(104.9°F) no embryos will survive.

Continuous temperatures within this range but below optimum retard development and
increase mortalities. However it is again evident that early embryos are more susceptible to
continuous slightly low temperatures than older embryos. Indeed, from 16 days on it may be
beneficial to lower the incubation temperature by up to 2°C (3.6°F). I emphasis the word
‘continuous’ because the effects of short term reduction in temperature are different and are
discussed later.

Zone of disproportionate development (27 - 35°C/80.6 - 95°F)

Eggs kept above 27°C (80.6°F) will start to develop. However the development will be
disproportionate in the sense that some parts of the embryo will develop faster than others
and some organs may not develop at all. Below 35°C (95°F) no embryo is likely to survive to
hatch. Typically the heart is much enlarged and the head development more advanced than
the trunk and limbs.

The temperature at the lower end of this range is sometimes referred to as ‘Physiological
zero’ - the threshold temperature for embryonic development. Unfortunately different organs
appear to have different thresholds resulting in an unviable entity.
Zone of suspended development (-2°C - 27°C/28.4 - 80.6°F)
Below about 27°C (80°F) no embryonic development takes place. Prior to incubation, eggs
must be stored in this temperature range (preferably around 15°C/59°F).

Zone of cold injury ( -2°C/28.4°F)

Below this threshold ice crystals will start to form in the egg and permanently damage may be
done to internal structures. Eggs may lie for some considerable time in temperatures close to
freezing without suffering damage.

Ron, does humidity make the temperature in an incubator come down or go up?

I'm working on a temporary fix for my incubator.

Right now, I have to go close up but I'll share with y'all when I get back in, what I'm doing.

It makes it go down. Going down is good at hatch, so if it goes down to 98.5 or 99 it is a good thing.

I should add more I suppose.

I read some research articles where they experimented with lower temps and chicks hatched fine down to low temperatures. They hatched faster and recovered more quickly.

It is probably in part due to more oxygen. O2 goes down with heat and humidity. Somewhere over 80% humidity ant 100 degrees and the chicks suffocate. If a lot of chicks hatch at one time, Humidity can get into that range quickly.

Last edited:
Hi guys...was looking up "importing" into US and found this site...

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/de...estock-animal-products-(horses,-cattle,-sheep,

and specific to poultry...

~§ 93.203 Ports designated for the importation of poultry. (a) Air and ocean ports.
The following ports have APHIS inspection and quarantine facilities necessary for quarantine stations and all poultry shall be entered into the United States through these stations, except as provided in paragraphs (b), (c), (d) and (e) of this section: Los Angeles, California; Miami, Florida; and Newburgh, New York.
(b) Canadian border ports.
The following land border ports are designated as having the necessary inspection facilities for the entry of poultry from Canada:
Eastport, Idaho; Houlton and Jackman, Maine; Detroit, Port Huron, and Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan

application fee for permit:
http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-2013-title9-vol1/pdf/CFR-2013-title9-vol1-sec130-4.pdf

Daily user fee for quarantine:
http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-1995-05-26/pdf/95-12999.pdf

I think these are correct, but you can call them to check. Just thought I'd post if anyone wanted this info for possible import for breeding purposes.

Here is the website: table listing permit fees and "shipment on hold"

http://nvap.aphis.usda.gov/animal_health/permits/ah_permits_userfees.shtml

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom