Poultry "by-products" into dog food?

Smiles-N-Sunshine

Crowing
14 Years
Oct 19, 2008
Palominas, Arizona
Hi everyone! At this point I'm somewhat experienced with poultry slaughtering, but still learning. Let's talk guts!

It's important to me to waste as little of each carcass as possible, but I just can't tolerate the flavor of innards. My 6 month old Kangal Shepherd puppy feels quite the opposite so I made a batch of "blood sausage" from a recipe I found online, by lining the bottom of the blood catcher bowl with uncooked oatmeal, then cooking it with chopped up giblets. (I read that if dogs eat raw poultry, they could learn to associate live birds with delicious food, and I'd very much like to avoid that.) It was a huge hit.

The next time, I used almost the entire birds. I donated the feathers, heads, feet, gall bladders, and gizzard contents to our local vultures, and kept the rest of the meat, skin, and bones for human consumption. Everything else got pulsed in the food processor with some wrinkled potatoes and cooked into a paste that didn't look or smell wonderful to me, but not the worst thing ever, either. At this point I'm feeding some to my puppy daily, as a treat/supplement to her Purina kibbles, not as her main or sole diet.

Has anyone else traveled down this path? Which poultry parts are for humans, animals, and "other" in your households?

I do not process my chickens,,,,,, but am in favor of using everything there.
I am in line with your puppy,,, I and others in family do eat the gizzards, and livers. Actually do like the flavor quite much.
In some cultures, duck and rabbit blood is used as a soup ingredient. I will personally pass on those. Blood is also used to make a barley sausage,,,,, available at European Deli stores. That I will eat.
Chicken feet are available at a local store. Peeps use for soups, and other dishes that gelatin up.
Spent laying chickens are used commercially in processed pet food. Also as animal protein in dry feed like for poultry. I think it is a good use of resources.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :highfive:

Hi everyone! At this point I'm somewhat experienced with poultry slaughtering, but still learning. Let's talk guts!

It's important to me to waste as little of each carcass as possible, but I just can't tolerate the flavor of innards. My 6 month old Kangal Shepherd puppy feels quite the opposite so I made a batch of "blood sausage" from a recipe I found online, by lining the bottom of the blood catcher bowl with uncooked oatmeal, then cooking it with chopped up giblets. (I read that if dogs eat raw poultry, they could learn to associate live birds with delicious food, and I'd very much like to avoid that.) It was a huge hit.

The next time, I used almost the entire birds. I donated the feathers, heads, feet, gall bladders, and gizzard contents to our local vultures, and kept the rest of the meat, skin, and bones for human consumption. Everything else got pulsed in the food processor with some wrinkled potatoes and cooked into a paste that didn't look or smell wonderful to me, but not the worst thing ever, either. At this point I'm feeding some to my puppy daily, as a treat/supplement to her Purina kibbles, not as her main or sole diet.

Has anyone else traveled down this path? Which poultry parts are for humans, animals, and "other" in your households?

My dogs eat raw necks, heads, feet, gizzards, livers, hearts, and even intestines occasionally (at least when they get into the gut bucket during butchering - they will suck down some intestines like buttered spaghetti if I'm not watching carefully😂) and they spend their lives protecting our flock of several hundred free-range birds (layers, broilers, ducks, and turkeys). We had to train both dogs around poultry of course, but I have seen no evidence of their raw poultry treats causing them to become aggressive towards the birds in 5+ years that we've been letting the chickens range free. They still chase deer, raccoons, and rabbits constantly so they have lots of prey drive, but they will also lounge in the shade with our chickens and goats.🤷‍♂️. I have a border collie/lab/pit mix and a catahoula/aussie both are about 50-60 pounds

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom