Poultry dust and mites - Frequency of Treatment

Lumikko

Songster
Sep 14, 2019
Wayne, NJ
I fairly recently adopted 3 rather sad hens who are currently quarantined. They have mites. After the moment of "this is the most disgusting thing ever", I picked up Gardstar Poultry Dust (Permethrin) and treated them and their coop on Tuesday (10/20). I also added some powder to their dust bathing area.

Examining them today, they still have mites but it does look to be less. How often can this treatment be repeated?

Thank you!

I fairly recently adopted 3 rather sad hens who are currently quarantined. They have mites. After the moment of "this is the most disgusting thing ever", I picked up Gardstar Poultry Dust (Permethrin) and treated them and their coop on Tuesday (10/20). I also added some powder to their dust bathing area.

Examining them today, they still have mites but it does look to be less. How often can this treatment be repeated?

Thank you!
As often as needed, until thew mites are gone. You can also gently turn the hens upside down, then dust them. It won't hurt them a bit.

Treat weekly for 3 or 4 weeks because it will not kill the mite eggs. Also permethrin spray works well. The bonus is there is no egg withdrawal period. You may want to spray your coop thoroughly, everywhere, every crack and crevice. This is the dilution for spraying but you can buy the premixed spray. Good luck...
ChickenMites.jpg
Permethrin-10.jpg

Back
Top Bottom