POULTRY FECAL FLOTATION PROCEDURES AND PICTURES

We start with a set of laminated charts that can be posted near the scope and I honestly can't remember the name of the book I used to use, its just been so long. I use online texts and research papers when I get to something that I don't recognize, that or I send a picture to a parasitologist friend of mine or to my poultry vet. Just for the benefit of us all, what is the name of the text that you have, Kathy and Dawg?

Updating with some new parasite egg pics. Was hoping for some spirochetes so that everyone could see what they look like, but then I realized that hoping for my chickens to have a rare bacterial infection was craziness. If they pop up, I'll definitely shoot some pictures of them though.

These are capillaria (the family that whipworms belong to) under medium power

Here you see two capillaria and down to the left of the bottom capillaria egg is a coccidia egg. You can see the size difference here.

Your classic roundworm egg

Rbaker0345. If those samples are from your chickens...nice job! Keep in mind that it's normal for chickens to have coccidia show up on the microscopic slide. It becomes a problem when the slide is loaded up with coccidia eggs and birds will most likely need a course of amprolium.
Different story for the worms/eggs though...

Thanks for the encouragement. I am a vet tech, so I don't freak out about coccidia, but we do rotate treatment (only when the birds are symptomatic, of course) with amprolium, albon, sulmet and toltrazuril. I don't like to use the same medication over and over again.

Back
Top Bottom