Poultry first aid kit

Pampered chicken girl

Enabler
Premium Feather Member
Apr 10, 2022
I am making this for any noobies or people who don't have one of these. IF YOU DO NOT HAVE A EMERGENCY KIT YOU MAY COST YOUR CHICKEN THERE LIFE! I always keep these items on hand for emergencies and such:
Vet wrap
Triple antibiotic
Styptic powder
Liquid calcium (for egg binding)
Hen healer balm
Nutra-drench
Vitamin b-12
Tweezer
Sterile scalpel
Vet Rx
This is a vital emergency kit that is very important when owning chickens. If you have any suggestions for things to add I appreciate it
Thanks

Last edited:
I am making this for any noobies or people who don't have one of these. IF YOU DO NOT HAVE A EMERGENCY KIT YOU MAY COST YOUR CHICKEN THERE LIFE! I always keep these items on hand for emergencies and such:
Vet wrap
Triple antibiotic
Septic powder
Liquid calcium (for egg binding)
Hen healer balm
Nutra-drench
Vitamin b-12
Tweezer
Sterile scalpel
Vet Rx
This is a vital emergency kit that is very important when owning chickens. If you have any suggestions for things to add I appreciate it
Thanks
Thank you for the post!

Hope you can give a bit more info...what is Septic Powder, is there a specific Liquid Calcium and what's the dose, what is Vitamin B-12 used for?

My first aid kit consists of just a few basic things. Chlorhexidine, triple antibiotic ointment, electrolytes and vet wrap.

Thank you for the post!

Hope you can give a bit more info...what is Septic Powder, is there a specific Liquid Calcium and what's the dose, what is Vitamin B-12 used for?

My first aid kit consists of just a few basic things. Chlorhexidine, triple antibiotic ointment, electrolytes and vet wrap.
Septic powder stops bleeding their is many brands of calcium they are for humans I would put 2 tablespoons per quart of water.
B-12 is for energy to help lethargic or sick or injured chickens to help fight off illness

Septic powder stops bleeding their is many brands of calcium they are for humans I would put 2 tablespoons per quart of water.
B-12 is for energy to help lethargic or sick or injured chickens to help fight off illness
Oh, Styptic Powder. May want to correct your spelling so others can find what you mention.
Good to know.

Great reminder post!
We have most of the above, but also added sterile gauze pads, cotton rounds (the kind you use for make up), Corid, older kid's scissors (pointy ended, not round-for cutting off vet wrap) and disposable gloves.
We keep a bottle of 600 mg calcium + vit D pills instead of liquid calcium for egg issues. That's what we could find in 2020, so that is what we have.
Also it helps to write the expiration date for medications on the lid with sharpie so you can tell at a glance if anything is about to expire:)

It's also good to keep oregano oil or durastat argand oregano is like a natural antibiotic and is super helpful I credit for saving one of my chickens life's when she had a cold

Great reminder post!
We have most of the above, but also added sterile gauze pads, cotton rounds (the kind you use for make up), Corid, older kid's scissors (pointy ended, not round-for cutting off vet wrap) and disposable gloves.
We keep a bottle of 600 mg calcium + vit D pills instead of liquid calcium for egg issues. That's what we could find in 2020, so that is what we have.
Also it helps to write the expiration date for medications on the lid with sharpie so you can tell at a glance if anything is about to expire:)
This is the liquid calcium is much easier to administer then pills especially if it's a younger pullet or a small Bantam that's egg bound. We got it on Amazon it is berry flavor but it will be okay if it's an emergency plus it will make it taste better for them to drink I usually mix it in with water when egg bound
20220608_125834.jpg

Back
Top Bottom