First Aid Manual/Kit for Poultry

Evadig

Free Ranging
Premium Feather Member
May 16, 2023
East Coast and LA
I recently took a First Aid/CPR class and the instructor required us to put together an emergency manual and a first aid kit. I was thinking it would be a good idea to have something like that for chickens (and other fowl). I of course intend on doing my own research, but here are a few questions to get started. Any input would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

-what are the most common diseases to look out for?
-what emergency materials should you have on hand (a first aid kit)?
-where can you find these materials?

Like I mentioned, I'm open to advice about all poultry. Suggestions of other topics would be helpful too :).

Thank you!

After posting this, I found several other threads dealing with the same topic :oops:, but they don't really tell me where to find the materials. So that would still be helpful as I have never heard of many of these items! Also, does anyone have suggestions specifically for waterfowl? Mine get hurt way more than my hens.

I recently took a First Aid/CPR class and the instructor required us to put together an emergency manual and a first aid kit. I was thinking it would be a good idea to have something like that for chickens (and other fowl). I of course intend on doing my own research, but here are a few questions to get started. Any input would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

-what are the most common diseases to look out for?
-what emergency materials should you have on hand (a first aid kit)?
-where can you find these materials?

Like I mentioned, I'm open to advice about all poultry. Suggestions of other topics would be helpful too :).

Thank you!
It’s a great idea. I add different things as I need them. I haven’t created a complete list, but will work on it.

I bought surgical instruments because I had to remove some huge ingrown feathers. I was terrified but I did it. She healed very quickly and within a week, you couldn’t even see where I made an incision!

Back
Top Bottom