What's in your "chicken emergency kit"?

HeidiGetsChicks

Songster
Apr 15, 2023
So I'm still fairly new to this, but I'm starting to see several things mentioned that I'm realizing would benefit me to have on hand in the moment when a chicken needs it. For example today I bought some unscented candles in case I crack an incubating egg so I can drip wax over the crack ASAP. Ointment for an open umbilical cord. That sort of thing.

Do you keep a sort of "chicken first aid kit"? What do you keep in it? What are some things you'd recommend a beginner or anyone with chickens always have on hand to address illness, injuries, or other emergencies?

Bumblefoot and other foot wound stuff:

Vetericyn wound spray, vetwrap, gauze, scissors, iodine, toothbrushes, tweezers, nail clippers, a needle. Salicylic wart pads and corn donut pads.

Scaly leg mite stuff:

Isopropyl alcohol 70%, bucket for dipping feet, castor oil, toothbrush.

Worming, ectoparasite meds:

Ivermectin, levimasole, flubendazole and praziquantel. Rotenone dust and permethrin spray. Diatomaceous earth.

For chicks:

Vaseline, q-tips, amprolium.

For crop stuff:

Coconut oil, olive oil, apple cider vinegar, thrush pessaries. I also have two sizes of crop bras.

Other general items:

Epsoms salts, scissors, towels of varying sizes, puppy training mats (if anyone needs to be crated). Vitamin calcium/D/K supplements, b vitamin supplements, baby ibuprofen.

Edit to add rubber gloves.

Bumblefoot and other foot wound stuff:

Vetericyn wound spray, vetwrap, gauze, scissors, iodine, toothbrushes, tweezers, nail clippers, a needle. Salicylic wart pads and corn donut pads.

Scaly leg mite stuff:

Isopropyl alcohol 70%, bucket for dipping feet, castor oil, toothbrush.

Worming, ectoparasite meds:

Ivermectin, levimasole, flubendazole and praziquantel. Rotenone dust and permethrin spray. Diatomaceous earth.

For chicks:

Vaseline, q-tips, amprolium.

For crop stuff:

Coconut oil, olive oil, apple cider vinegar, thrush pessaries. I also have two sizes of crop bras.

Other general items:

Epsoms salts, scissors, towels of varying sizes, puppy training mats (if anyone needs to be crated). Vitamin calcium/D/K supplements, b vitamin supplements, baby ibuprofen.

Edit to add rubber gloves.
I got two rescue chickens to start and had none of this stuff. I’ve acquired it all along the way as I’ve needed it. I now have a flock of six hens, one of whom is serially broody so there have been several rounds of chicks.

Depending on your set-up and risk factors would determine what you should have at first. For instance, I had no idea how much broken glass and debris was in my yard until I got chickens. So having the Vetericyn and vetwrap from the get-go would have been better. I also think having items to deal with lice and worms is very important, and amprolium if you have chicks. If you have laying hens especially high production breeds it would be good to have the epsom salts and calcium supplements on hand in case one has trouble laying an egg etc.

Back
Top Bottom