Poultry Hollow - Brush Creek, TN

How funny you join just to make 3 different posts supporting Poultry Hollow, dredging up old posts. Business must be slow at Poultry Hollow.

Last edited:
How funny you join just to make 6,013 posts in 5 years talking about chickens.

-Seriously, think about that for a second.

It boggles my mind at how someone who spends so much time talking about chickens on the internet can critisize me or Poultry Hollow. I came on here to find out more about chickens and happened upon the posts about Poultry Hollow. I found people like you who are stuck up chicken obsessors. It's weird!!! I cannot stress enough how it's just psychologically strange to eat, sleep, and dream chickens and act like you're so special cause you are an honorary "flock master". It's almost like the high school hierarchy has now invaded the chicken internet. You go right ahead and critisize me for not having proper backyard chicken posting etiquette, because frankly, in the "real" world that's a compliment. You do still remember the "real" world don't you?

It boggles my mind at how someone who spends so much time talking about chickens on the internet can critisize me or Poultry Hollow. I came on here to find out more about chickens and happened upon the posts about Poultry Hollow. I found people like you who are stuck up chicken obsessors. It's weird!!! I cannot stress enough how it's just psychologically strange to eat, sleep, and dream chickens and act like you're so special cause you are an honorary "flock master". It's almost like the high school hierarchy has now invaded the chicken internet. You go right ahead and critisize me for not having proper backyard chicken posting etiquette, because frankly, in the "real" world that's a compliment. You do still remember the "real" world don't you?

Amen Stefan :)

I'm sorry that you view the sharing of opinions with such distaste. Please keep your tone respectful, these boards are a very welcoming and supportive place where hobbyists share experiences and information. You don't have to like all the information and opinions here, but you do have to be respectful.

Also, if you find the boards so oppressive, no one here is demanding that you stay.

I'm just curious if you have read the other posts about Poultry Hollow? I do suggest you read them. You might not agree with what I have written in any of the posts, and that is fine, but at the same time "How funny you join just to make 3 different posts supporting Poultry Hollow, dredging up old posts. Business must be slow at Poultry Hollow." was insulting to me. Who is Halo? Was I talking about her? Why did she feel the need to get involved? Am I not allowed to have my own opinion? I have found a lot of wonderful information and good people within these boards, but at the same time I have seen a lot of bashing and almost like a superiority complex among the more experienced flock owners. When I (and I've seen others) get upset and speak out then I (and others) are the ones labeled as disrespectful. Poultry Hollow is trying to run a legitimate business, and if someone doesn't like the way they operate their business, that is fine with me. Difference of opinion I can handle, but when people get so rude as to insult her neighbors for having "crappy" houses (when they didn't) then that goes way too far. I have noticed that everyone has a different opinion on how to raise chickens, but what I don't understand is how many (not all) who believe in strict biosecurity, show standards, and have other high expectations for their chickens seem to attack those of us who believe in traditional farming methods. It is apparently assumed that everyone on these pages are "hobbyists". Am I maybe on the wrong website? There is a difference between the owner who wants a pet verses the one who's going to kill it for food. What I have found on here are mostly pet owners. I still stand by my assessment that many (not all) people on here are very stuck up urban chicken owners who devote way too much time obsessing over their pets. I live in rural KY, and those of us around here pretty much eat our chickens, so we don't spend too much time on the internet talking about our food.

I'm just curious if you have read the other posts about Poultry Hollow? I do suggest you read them. You might not agree with what I have written in any of the posts, and that is fine, but at the same time "How funny you join just to make 3 different posts supporting Poultry Hollow, dredging up old posts. Business must be slow at Poultry Hollow." was insulting to me. Who is Halo? Was I talking about her? Why did she feel the need to get involved? Am I not allowed to have my own opinion? I have found a lot of wonderful information and good people within these boards, but at the same time I have seen a lot of bashing and almost like a superiority complex among the more experienced flock owners. When I (and I've seen others) get upset and speak out then I (and others) are the ones labeled as disrespectful. Poultry Hollow is trying to run a legitimate business, and if someone doesn't like the way they operate their business, that is fine with me. Difference of opinion I can handle, but when people get so rude as to insult her neighbors for having "crappy" houses (when they didn't) then that goes way too far. I have noticed that everyone has a different opinion on how to raise chickens, but what I don't understand is how many (not all) who believe in strict biosecurity, show standards, and have other high expectations for their chickens seem to attack those of us who believe in traditional farming methods. It is apparently assumed that everyone on these pages are "hobbyists". Am I maybe on the wrong website? There is a difference between the owner who wants a pet verses the one who's going to kill it for food. What I have found on here are mostly pet owners. I still stand by my assessment that many (not all) people on here are very stuck up urban chicken owners who devote way too much time obsessing over their pets. I live in rural KY, and those of us around here pretty much eat our chickens, so we don't spend too much time on the internet talking about our food.

Well said!!

I had read the posts, both when they were started and when they were dredged up. I suggest you read posts about other hatcheries as well. If you look up almost any hatchery in the forums, you will find good and bad opinions. Most people are deserning enough to pick out what is important to them in the reviews. The difference is, the other hatcheries either do not reply to these posts or reply in a friendly, professional manner. Honestly, I didn't see anything written about the conditions of the farm itself, or even the stock, that would put me off buying from it were I closer and looking for hatchery birds, however, the posts about their unprofessionalism and the emotional posts from PH would definately put me, and anyone who wouldn't want to deal with that sort of thing, off the hatchery. As you said, though, PH has lots of customers, so apparently they don't need new custom. I just made the comment because it struck me as ironic that you logged onto a chicken board to make fun of someone for being on a chicken board. I, too, was suspicious that a couple of people seemed to have just made accounts to build up PH. Were it not for the differences in spelling and grammar, I'd just assume you were all the same person. I didn't think your argument was going too badly until you threw in the complete non sequitur rant, however. I'm from the rural South as well. I use my hatchery chickens for eggs, keep a few birds from breeders because I like them and enjoy playing around with genetics, and eat the culls. Chicken owners on here range the spectrum from urban people who have a couple of chickens in their backyard to serious breeders who keep thousands, with a core of rural farm types in between. I don't feel someone's enthusiasm for chickens (or lack thereof) is a good ground for insulting them unless you are completely out of rational arguments. That was my point. I've never had anyone on this forum be rude to me. Some people are incredibly opinionated, but I think the key is not to get worked up over it. Once I feel upset enough to want to replace logic with insults, I decide the other person has won and move on to something else.

I created a new account because my old account Janabors (Jill A Nabors), is linked to a old and lost e-mail from before I moved 2 years ago. My FB is off my website http://www.shangrilatms.com , FB links will not work on this forum. (So you can see who this account is)
I normally avoid the drama, so until now I did not feel the need to re-create an account. I am for the most part just content to read and not be heard.

Like Steffan, I feel strongly about not mistreating others unfounded and the point he is trying to make. Every circle I have ever been a part of be it, dog, rescue, chicken, etc.. there are always opposing sides. One side looking down at the other with their noses turned up because they have very little understanding of the other sides point of view. Unlike Steffan, I will not be reduced to name calling to get my point across.

I feel VERY strongly about thinking before I speak to ruin someones reputation.

I want to know the facts that matter, like has there ever been a proven case of communicable disease from a poultry hollow bird?

Are their birds in deplorable conditions? Like being trampled on, down and dying, sitting in their own feces. I have worked animal rescue 15 yrs now, so I would be the first person to beat down an animal abuser.

It is just downright mean spirited IMHO to pick on an elderly woman, who works VERY hard with limited resources, to maintain her dream and home. I got the impression those birds are her world.

If you don't like something that you feel is beneath your standards, despite meeting federal and state requirements, then do not return. Or, get tangible evidence that this farm should no longer be operating... Anything else is just speculation.

Last edited:
Very well said. I do apologize for name calling. I got a little worked up about this subject, and I tend to be a little fiesty (just like my chickens). I pecked back, but now I realize I am a human with logic and thought who should have used some reasoning before I became rude myself. I still hold to my opinons, but I could have made it come out so much better without offending others.

Back
Top Bottom