Poultry House Wishlist: what would you do differently?

Quote:
I have a question. Is your "water catcher" sitting on top of the floor, or did you dig a hole down in the floor so it is flush with the floor. I hope my question makes sense.

Really liking this water catcher idea... i wonder how i could incorporate into my barn...
hmm.png

I really do love my rubber stall mat flooring.. i'm probably odd but i turn and clean my bedding daily so having that type of flooring is really helpful. I think i'd like a 'tack room' LOL right now i have an old truck storage box thingy that i am keeping stuff in but it's not the most weatherproofed and of coarse is limited in space...

I think our best idea was insuring a person could move easily in it.. we can stand, turn around.. heck do a jig if you wanted
lol.png
Our weather is just to overall crappy to not have the ability to work inside.. of coarse if you live where it's lovely the bulk of the time it probably wouldn't matter so much.

It sits on top of the floor, so it can go inside any coop if there is space for it. It's about 8 inches tall? Maybe ten, can't remember if those boards are 2x8 or 2x10. The ducks have no issue reaching the water, or jumping on it. It prevents them from playing in it again, the issue I can into when I set the water into a much deeper pan. They could still play in what they threw out, and it still soaked the bedding around it. This design (and the wire floor option in the coop floor, or an added on "screen porch") prevents them from playing in the water a 2nd time and throwing it farther.

I was worried about wasted food after it fell through, so food only goes on it when it rains and the outside food gets wet. The chickens however, will chase me to the dump site and eat the "mash". So really, no waste.

Quote:
Okay. Thanks. Thats what I thought, but I couldn't tell for sure. I think I want one like that, but I want to make a porch, that way it doesn't take up their floor space.

Quote:
I've got nice big windows now but my dad wants to put in smaller windows
hmm.png

Big windows are good, I'd try to talk him into keeping the big windows more light more fresh air.
smile.png

The big windows have my absolute vote. I replaced the roof on my barn this year and went with skylights too, which was well worth doing! You might want to think on those too...

Back
Top Bottom