Poultry Lice symptoms question...

just learned frpm my brother what Dad used to paint roosts to get rid of mites/lice was called BlackLeaf 40. a strong nicotine mixture/ not sure if still available but try Canada. sometines they have stuff USA does not

just learned frpm my brother what Dad used to paint roosts to get rid of mites/lice was called BlackLeaf 40. a strong nicotine mixture/ not sure if still available but try Canada. sometines they have stuff USA does not

Thanks! I'll look into that. So far we seem to have the lice issue under control, but he's still losing feathers from his chest and body and they break off really easily. I know his diet was protein deficient before because she was just feeding him scratch all winter, so even though he was free range most of the time there were no bugs to speak of and I'm sure he didn't get enough protein for a while.

His skin seems to slowly be getting better, the redness and rough texture is going away since we started using the NuStock on him. I think it's just going to take a bit of time for him to get back up to snuff.

You're welcome. If he came from a neglectful environment, I'd keep him separate for at least 1 month from your existing birds to make sure he has nothing contagious, give vitamin-electrolyte-probiotic powder in his water 3 days a week or according to the label, and worm him. Stress can bring on a moult, so he may be moulting at this time too. If he is not moulting, Safeguard liquid (Fenbendazole) will rid all worms except tapeworms at .5 cc/ml given orally with a no-needle syringe. It is found in most feed stores. Worm once, then again in 10 days. If the rooster is moulting, and intestinal worms are a problem, you could use Coxiworm or Worminator as both use Pyrantel which is safe during moult. Hake's carries those:

Coxiworm: http://www.twincitypoultrysupplies....in_page=product_info&cPath=38&products_id=894

Worminator: http://www.twincitypoultrysupplies....in_page=product_info&cPath=21&products_id=804
What would you use for birds that ARE going to be eventually used for meat/eggs? I notice most of the stuff on that site has caveats about use in food animals.

Just brought my birds back from county fair yesterday, and there were some birds there that had lice. I checked my birds and didn't see any. Where should I put the poultry dust? On the floor or on the chickens?
We lightly dusted the coop floor and also put a pinch under the tail feathers and under the wings of the roo that we rescued. We did that once a week for three weeks. It seems to have taken care of the problem. :)

I don't think we have lice, but I will do that just to make sure. First treatment done and I'll do one more next week. Thanks.

I hope you don't, they're nasty little things. Better safe than sorry, right?
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom