Poultry Merger

tiggervis

Hatching
9 Years
May 16, 2010
We have 4 very happy hens and are considering adding 2-4 more hens to increase egg production. We want to get full grown hens instead of chicks because we only have the one coop. What are the potential issues we will face in attempting to merge chickens from different flocks?

Thanks!
Tiggervis

1 gray Americauna
1 orange Americauna
1 Red Cross
1 Barred Rock
All contribute to a Dye-free Easter! And my omelet chef credentials...

Thanks for the 411! Nothing that can't be overcome, so we can now seriously consider growing our poultry family.

Definitely separate the newbies for awhile, maybe a week, just in case there is a disease or other problem. I have used a large dog kennel to do that if you don't have another coop. I put a blanket over it at night (it was winter) and left it on my back porch so I could keep an eye on it. After you are sure they aren't sickly, move the kennel (or whatever you are using) inside the run with your four existing hens. Leave them there for at least a day or two so they can see each other but not get in fights. Then you can turn them loose, but monitor them really closely to make sure no one is getting picked on. There will be some running around and pecking for a few days/weeks as they establish a new pecking order, but as long as no one is getting hurt, it will be OK. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom