Poultry Netting-Best type?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Solsken Farm, Jan 5, 2009.

1. Solsken Farm

Solsken Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

I know there have been many threads on this but I just spent 1/2 doing searches and couldn't find an answer.

What is the best type of netting to buy to keep in chooks and withstand snow/ice and keep out predators?

I see ebay has two types. One is significantly more expensive. I know you get what you pay for. Thoughts and links, please?

Thanks.

2. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    I think the stuff we use is called Flight Top netting, purchased thru Cutler's supply. It is pricey, but lasts a long time. And hawks bounce right off of it. [​IMG] We use 2 inch to allow snow to fall through.

3. Solsken Farm

Thanks Jody. I thought it was you that mentioned something once that I read. So you think the larger squares help with the snow falling through? I was looking at 3/8 to help with shading.....but having the snow fall through might make more sense.

4. Poohbear

Poohbear On a Time Out

Nov 12, 2008
    Texas
    How about military camoflage netting? Would that work? I think it can be bought online at places like e-bay or even purchased at military surplus stores.

5. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    I use the Top Flight netting I purchased from Cutler Supply. It works great but snow is an issue. When I was building my coop and run I remembered the problem snow had cause I friend. The mesh sagged almost to the ground. I decided rafters were necessary to prevent that. I installed a center pole and ran the rafters to that. We've had some heavy snows and so far no problems.
    [​IMG][/img]

[​IMG][/img]

6. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:That is the same as what I've got and I've been happy with it.

7. Solsken Farm

Wow Opa, that looks great! (as does your avatar [​IMG] ) I think you need a big white and red canvas covering over it! (think circus tent [​IMG] )

I think I can brace it. I love that yours actually keeps some snow, so they have some bare ground to scratch around on.

What size netting do you have? 2" like Jody's?

8. Solsken Farm

Okay, so I think I will get the 2" after thinking about this and then just put up shade netting for the spring and summer, which will cut down on the heat. I used a big awning last year, which looked great, but collected rain.

Thanks folks.[​IMG]

9. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    I used the 1" mesh. On the west side fence of the run that receives the afternoon sun, I installed a roll up blind that diffuses the sunlight. That work just a effectively to provide shade and I don't have to worry about it holding water.

10. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Are you only looking for daytime hawk protection or are you wanting protection from things like climbing raccoons, at night?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by