Poultry netting for hawks?

Bananafish79

Chirping
Apr 25, 2020
I have a Cooper’s hawk watching my hens. I’m keeping them inside the coop, but I like to let them use an uncovered run during the day. Will poultry netting keep the hawk out?

I have netting covering my pens and it works. If you do get some netting buy some good heavy duty netting. I had a owl go through some cheap crappy netting and kill some birds. I ran short of the HD netting I put up so bought some online that wasn't what I thought it was but put it up anyway. I have since replaced it with heavy duty netting. The owl came back but this time got caught in the netting. We managed to get in into a cage and some wildlife people came and took it. This was the owl again going through the crappy netting after I moved the birds to another coop.
DSCF00031125 02.jpg
DSCF00031125 10.jpg
IMG_20191221_101158.jpg
IMG_20200229_133038.jpg

Because of raptor pressure (mainly Cooper's and Red-Tailed hawks), I had to confine my main flock of formerly free range chickens to a run with aviary netting and haven't lost one to an aerial predator since then. I think the hawks can see the netting and don't even attempt to breach it. The netting's a pain to work with, but worth it for my peace of mind.

This is like the netting I used.
https://www.amazon.com/Aviary-Netti...&qid=1598621007&sprefix=aviary,aps,221&sr=8-5

This netting is cheaper not sure how good it is. When I was short on my original netting I bought something like this and it turned out to be crap. This is what it looked like and it was a nightmare to put up.
CrappyNettingRev.jpg
The picture in the ad looked similar to this.
CrappyNettingLook.jpg
I thought because the netting would be visible no aerial predator would attempt to go through it. I was wrong and lost some birds. The camera told the story.
DSCF00031125 02.jpg

The owl went through the netting three times. Each time I replaced that section with the only netting I had at the time which was the crappy netting. The owl would go through it. I moved the birds when I put the camera in the pen and replaced the netting again.

Back
Top Bottom