Poultry nipple height?

85 Jimmy

In the Brooder
May 6, 2015
Gulfport, MS
I'm building a coop right now and am at the process where I'm installing the watering system for the chicks. I right I have 6 week old red sex links, and I have their water at about 12" off the ground. I've done some searching and it looks like people suggest setting them at between 18"-22" high. I just mocked mine up at 18" and that seems awful high. How tall do sex links end up getting?

The system will be plumbed with 4" PVC and will be permanent, I won't be able to adjust the height later on, so I need to get it right the first time.

While I'm asking, how high should their food be? I'll be installing an auto feeder that will attach to the side of the coop after I build it.

Thanks

I'm building a coop right now and am at the process where I'm installing the watering system for the chicks. I right I have 6 week old red sex links, and I have their water at about 12" off the ground. I've done some searching and it looks like people suggest setting them at between 18"-22" high. I just mocked mine up at 18" and that seems awful high. How tall do sex links end up getting?

The system will be plumbed with 4" PVC and will be permanent, I won't be able to adjust the height later on, so I need to get it right the first time.

While I'm asking, how high should their food be? I'll be installing an auto feeder that will attach to the side of the coop after I build it.

Thanks
I don't think there is a "correct" height, I waited until mine were full grown and put it high enough so they have to stretch a little to get to the nipple, if I were you i would hold off until they are full grown.

Keep this in mind: they can bend over to reach water at their feet, but they can't reach higher than they can stretch. Don't put the nipple any higher than the shortest chicken can reach.

You can always put it higher and add a brick or boards for the chicken to stand on while they are growing or if you have banties.
That's what I'm going to end up doing. Put the nipples at 18" and put some paving bricks and put them in the coop and under it so the chicks can stand on them to drink.

Like this:

Remove bricks as they get taller.

Back
Top Bottom