Poultry nipples

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by BirdsInParadise, Jul 25, 2016.

1. BirdsInParadise

BirdsInParadise Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2016
    I have two Silkies who are roughly 11 weeks old.
    They drink from a bowl but i want to have them drink from the poultry nipples to ensure a cleaner drink.
    Will birds know what's up or will they have trouble "finding"
    the water?
    Thanks for any and all replies and suggestions...

2. Davey4000

Davey4000 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2016
    Roxboro, NC
    My chickens found them right away. I think they peck anything and everything and they quickly find out there's water coming from them. Having said that mine seem to prefer drinking from an old fashion waterer.

3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    If you tap the nipples, their inquisitive nature should get them to peck at them. As Davey says, it seems chickens prefer non-nipple water sources. IME, chicks raised using nipples from day 1 are a lot more adept at using them than those introduced to them later. These days I only rely on nipple drinkers for chicks. I have just bought some water dishes that are designed to be fitted to plastic tanks - have not tried them yet, but I hope that they will be good.

Just a thought, but you may wish to keep your chickens on their regular drinker if you live in a place where it's summer at the moment - they'll need all the water they can.

Ct

4. JayJo

JayJo Chillin' With My Peeps

I just got a few 4 week old chicks who were not raised on nipples. I only have nipple waterers, one horizontal and one vertical. I showed the chicks the vertical nipples a couple of times by holding their beaks up to start the flow but at first they just tried to peck the water off the ground. Finally I showed them again and then locked them in the coop without the other birds to give them time to figure it out. It took them about 30 hours in extreme heat to figure it out and one was really droopy; I think I almost lost her. But she pulled through and now they've got it.

In my case it probably helped that all the other chickens were using the nipples so the chicks could see that.

I think you just have to stick with it but it can be scary.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2016
  5. Baxokie

Baxokie Just Hatched

May 19, 2016
    Tulsa Ok
    I had mine on a normal water dish for a month or so and then switched to nipples (they were fouling the water) and tapped it a couple times and they took right to them.

6. Intheswamp

Intheswamp Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    South Alabama
    I can see where the chickens would prefer a traditional source of water where they can get a beak full and toss their heads back. But, I'm wondering...have you had the chance to compare vertical versus horizontal nipples in regards to the chickens preferring one over the other one? I know the horizontal ones are supposed to leak much less, but I'm sure the chickens aren't worried about that. [​IMG]

Thanks,
    Ed

7. Davey4000

Jun 2, 2016
    Roxboro, NC
    I have not tried them horizontally. I have plenty of nipples. I think I'll try it.

8. JayJo

JayJo Chillin' With My Peeps

I have both - a Chicken Fountain in the enclosed coop/run that uses vertical nipples, and a 5 gallon bucket with three horizontal nipples in the outside run. The full grown hens prefer the horizontal nipple bucket but that is probably because they'd rather be outside. The chicks tend to like the vertical nipples best.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2016
  9. Intheswamp

Intheswamp Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    South Alabama
    Uh, there are specific nipples for vertical and horizontal uses. I don't think their orientations are swappable. So, if you have vertical nipples you can't turn them sideways.

Just in case... [​IMG]

Ed

10. Davey4000

Jun 2, 2016
    Roxboro, NC
    Good to know. Thanks for the heads up Ed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by