Poultry nipples

BirdsInParadise

Songster
May 9, 2016
I have two Silkies who are roughly 11 weeks old.
They drink from a bowl but i want to have them drink from the poultry nipples to ensure a cleaner drink.
Will birds know what's up or will they have trouble "finding"
the water?
Thanks for any and all replies and suggestions...

My chickens found them right away. I think they peck anything and everything and they quickly find out there's water coming from them. Having said that mine seem to prefer drinking from an old fashion waterer.

If you tap the nipples, their inquisitive nature should get them to peck at them. As Davey says, it seems chickens prefer non-nipple water sources. IME, chicks raised using nipples from day 1 are a lot more adept at using them than those introduced to them later. These days I only rely on nipple drinkers for chicks. I have just bought some water dishes that are designed to be fitted to plastic tanks - have not tried them yet, but I hope that they will be good.

Just a thought, but you may wish to keep your chickens on their regular drinker if you live in a place where it's summer at the moment - they'll need all the water they can.

Ct

I just got a few 4 week old chicks who were not raised on nipples. I only have nipple waterers, one horizontal and one vertical. I showed the chicks the vertical nipples a couple of times by holding their beaks up to start the flow but at first they just tried to peck the water off the ground. Finally I showed them again and then locked them in the coop without the other birds to give them time to figure it out. It took them about 30 hours in extreme heat to figure it out and one was really droopy; I think I almost lost her. But she pulled through and now they've got it.

In my case it probably helped that all the other chickens were using the nipples so the chicks could see that.

I think you just have to stick with it but it can be scary.

Last edited:
I had mine on a normal water dish for a month or so and then switched to nipples (they were fouling the water) and tapped it a couple times and they took right to them.

<snip> Having said that mine seem to prefer drinking from an old fashion waterer.
If you tap the nipples, their inquisitive nature should get them to peck at them. As Davey says, it seems chickens prefer non-nipple water sources. <snip>

Ct

I can see where the chickens would prefer a traditional source of water where they can get a beak full and toss their heads back. But, I'm wondering...have you had the chance to compare vertical versus horizontal nipples in regards to the chickens preferring one over the other one? I know the horizontal ones are supposed to leak much less, but I'm sure the chickens aren't worried about that.
smile.png

Thanks,
Ed

But, I'm wondering...have you had the chance to compare vertical versus horizontal nipples in regards to the chickens preferring one over the other one?

I have both - a Chicken Fountain in the enclosed coop/run that uses vertical nipples, and a 5 gallon bucket with three horizontal nipples in the outside run. The full grown hens prefer the horizontal nipple bucket but that is probably because they'd rather be outside. The chicks tend to like the vertical nipples best.

Last edited:
I have not tried them horizontally. I have plenty of nipples. I think I'll try it.
Uh, there are specific nipples for vertical and horizontal uses. I don't think their orientations are swappable. So, if you have vertical nipples you can't turn them sideways.

Just in case...
smile.png

Ed

Back
Top Bottom