Poultry nipples

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by hennyhalo, Nov 19, 2014.

1. hennyhalo

hennyhalo New Egg

Jun 24, 2013
    New Mexico
    I'm curious to know if anyone has installed poultry nipples on a metal bucket?

I love the PNs that we have, but 2 summers ago when I first set up, I put them on a plastic 2.5 gal bucket. I live in New Mexico at 7500 feet, and the sun here is just brutal. Plastic becomes brittle fast. I've been watching my bucket fall apart bit by bit all summer long. So I'm wondering whether it is possible to install them on a metal bucket that might weather the elements a little bit better over time.

Thanks much. :)

2. pdirt

pdirt Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2013
    Eastern WA
    I haven't yet heard of anyone installing the nipples on a metal bucket, but it might work. Since the nipples are plastic themselves, it would probably be pretty easy to ruin the threads. You would probably want to experiment on a similar piece of metal first. And also use aquarium silicone sealant to fully seal each nipple inside and outside.

Perhaps you already know this...If you use a galvanized metal bucket, be sure never to put anything acidic in it, like ACV. It will react and denature the galvanization and will lead to rusting.

Perhaps someone who has done what you want to do will pipe up for you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by