Poultry Predator Identification

Just tried to read the article...it is no longer available
sad.png

I went there too and the link is missing.

I really need help!
sad.png
I'm missing a young rooster since yesterday. He disappeared in the daytime. When I did my headcount at roost time he was gone. My problem is... We have raccoons, hawks (circling all day), bobcats, feral cats (some are my mom's), weasels, neighbor's dogs, coyotes, etc.
tongue.png
What's a guy to do? I lost a baby chick some months ago (head missing, body intact), full grown hen attacked - back torn open, back end torn up (that was a coon - he went to raccoon heaven/hell), and now my little mixed breed rooster is completely gone... no evidence of what got him.
I'm looking for another live trap but keep getting stupid cats inside the one I have!
I may need to just park all day by their coop...... they are open range, well fenced against dogs, but all the other mentioned critters can climb.
Any ideas are accepted... Thanks in advance...

google LGD's, livestock guard dogs. I was ready to give up, but decided to try them first. I recommend Anatolian Shepherd's or Great Pyrenees.
If you get a pup, it will take a while to introduce them to chickens before they are safe to be around them. Adult dogs are safer.

Quote:
Sorry dug up for it minus the pictures.

fixed for now.

ML

Help! Here's a good one: I'm having a terrible time with squirrel infestation. Those buggers find the scratch, chicken food, and even get in the pen to eat everthing every day. The chewed through the rubber bin I keep scratch in. I believe my aggressive polish bantam took one on and lost chunks of feathers. Now when the squirrels come down the trees for their morning feed (chicken scratch), the bantams run and hide in the corner of our house. I free range our girls. My dogs and cats don't even chase the squirrels anymore. Any suggestions???

Pellet gun..... frying pan.... yes people eat squirrels... and they are tasty, get over it.

I know out here in the sticks when a squirrel decides to eat all my wild bird food. I just mix in a bit of cayenne. Birds don't seem to mind but squirrels run in fear after one taste.

I just read the predator article and am still uncertain what killed one of my hens. I found her dead in a corner of the chicken yard, headless, gutted with only one wing, the backbone and ribs and her legs left. Red blood was still visible. She was in a corner where there is a board behind the fence (predators cannot reach through). The entire area (about 12' x 15') is fenced and covered overhead. I haven't yet checked completely for holes in the fencing (part of the the overhead is difficult to inspect as the covering chicken wire (fine) is woven through overhead trees, and it is snowing).

I usually check to see that all of the hens are in their safe house at night, but may not have seen this one the night before I missed her. I'm sure she was missing for no more than 36 hours. there are 4 other hens in the enclosure and none of them was harmed, including a very fat and slow cronish rock game hen. There were no feathers from any of the birds anywhere (except wing feathers still attached to the gutted body).

This hen had molted and was looking a little scrawny. I assumed she would soon regain her weight and feathers, as the others had, but I wonder if she was infact weak and just died and then rats consumed her.

Any ideas?

Bonnie

Back
Top Bottom