Poultry Predator Identification

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by ml, Oct 7, 2007.

1. tsisqua

tsisqua Out Of The Brooder

Sep 29, 2016
    So sorry - you must be devastated!!

2. Bantu

Bantu Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2016
    USA
    My Coop
    I have had several chickens disappear over the past year as mine free range. But she was in the run and couldn't get in the coop in time. I had a dog coming into the yard so I kept them in the run to protect them. She might have been able to get away if I had let them out.

3. mjhoward1

mjhoward1 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 16, 2014
    Thanks for a great article. I am on a mission to protect my little flock. I found a chicken completely gutted and another running around in the front yard. She was terrified.

4. oldhen2345

oldhen2345 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2015
    East Texas
    I have had one chick- Mae- she was the runt so to speak- about half the size of her siblings. About dusk, I heard a commotion in the yard- the dogs were going crazy, but I glanced out and didn't see anything amiss. In the morning, I found the carcass of my little Mae about 150 ft from the coop - against the wire fence. The only thing left was the head and wings. What could have done that? An owl would have eaten the head. There is a 6 ft. privacy fence around my whole yard and a 4 ft. pig wire fence between the "dog yard" and the "chicken yard". I frequently hear owls- but an owl would have eaten the head. The chickens are generally safe- they go inside the coop at night (there is a hardwire enclosed run) - I watch them at dusk to make sure we don't have a repeat of Mae.
    There is a trio of owls that visit- usually about once a month, lately, nightly. I think they are after my little dogs as much as the chickens- there are 3 between 7 and 10 lbs. each. It worries me, and I have lock the doggie door when I hear the owls. The other day, they stayed in the trees after daylight - I had gone to feed the chickens and open the pop door. I was out there about 10 minutes before they flew away. How can I keep my menagerie safe- what got Mae?

5. Glenda Heywoodo

Glenda Heywoodo Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2016
    Cassville Missouri
    What predaroe eats the chickens body and leaves the head?

6. slordaz

slordaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2015
    Idaho
    I've seen feral cats and skunks do that, problem I had identifying what took out 9 hens fall before last was the attacks were all different times of days and different carcasses found, we live trapped and moved 6 feral cats and the attacks stopped

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by