Poults dying

docdubz

Songster
5 Years
Nov 24, 2016
Central Texas
I got 16 poults that were hatched this Monday. 1 was dead on arrival and 1 wasn't doing well. I gave that one some sugar water and it bounced back and was doing fine but then I woke up to find it dead yesterday morning. This morning I found 2 more dead and now there's another one that keeps falling over. Waters clean it looks like they are all eating and drinking unless some of them are only pretending to eat and drink. Their brooder is in my workshop and it is 90* outside. Not really sure what's wrong.

I got 16 poults that were hatched this Monday. 1 was dead on arrival and 1 wasn't doing well. I gave that one some sugar water and it bounced back and was doing fine but then I woke up to find it dead yesterday morning. This morning I found 2 more dead and now there's another one that keeps falling over. Waters clean it looks like they are all eating and drinking unless some of them are only pretending to eat and drink. Their brooder is in my workshop and it is 90* outside. Not really sure what's wrong.
What is the temperature at the bedding level in the brooder?

According to my air thermometer thing 92 on the cool side and 95 in the between the cool side and the heat lamp and 101 under the light.
If you are measuring air temperature, it is way too hot. It is too hot even if you are measuring the bedding temperature.

I start my poults at 90°F measured at the bedding level. I use a 4'x4' brooder. The cool areas can be as low as 70°F. They need to be able to freely go between the hot and cool areas. The feed and water should be kept in the cool zone.

Everything I read about poults was that they need the brooder between 95 and 100 for the first week? I swear the internet is absolutely the worst.

Everything I read about poults was that they need the brooder between 95 and 100 for the first week? I swear the internet is absolutely the worst.
100°F is what they hatch at. Some people do start their poults at 95°F. Many do not know what temperature their brooder is because they use the "how the chicks, poults, etc. are behaving" method as their guide.

The reason it is critical if you are going by temperature to measure it right at the bedding level is if you are getting 90°F for an air temperature, you will be over 100°F for the bedding level.

There is a lot of good information on the Internet but unfortunately there is a lot of bad information too.

Many make the mistake that the whole brooder needs to be the same temperature too. They really need both cool and heated areas.

Good luck.

Ok I moved them to the 4x4 brooder that I was going to put them in next week. Got a heat lamp and a brinsea heater on one side. That should give them a good gradient.

It sure seems like when ever I search for information instead of asking on a forum the search engines always guide me to people that claim to be homesteaders but everything they write is complete garbage.

Ok I moved them to the 4x4 brooder that I was going to put them in next week. Got a heat lamp and a brinsea heater on one side. That should give them a good gradient.

It sure seems like when ever I search for information instead of asking on a forum the search engines always guide me to people that claim to be homesteaders but everything they write is complete garbage.
The people that write blogs are doing it for income. Those of us who do this long term, don't blog.

Back
Top Bottom