Poults Holding their Wings Funny??

mossfamilyfarm

In the Brooder
9 Years
Feb 24, 2010
Greenville, IL
I have two RP poults that are holding their wings funny. It's like they are being lazy and not wanting to hold them up tight. They are less than a week old and are just getting feathers on their wings. Is this normal? These are my first poults so I have no idea... also, If this is not normal and is a permanant defect, what causes it?? Is it genetic?
Thanks!

49637_005.jpg

49637_012.jpg

i've had chicks do that plenty of times...I've never had issues come of it...I personally think its just from the long feathers coming in, it may be heavy on their teeny wings for a bit, usually with my chicks who do that stance are good once the other wing feathers finish filling out in a week or so. but I'm more than saying I got no clue about turkeys other than the hens lay eggs and the Tom's puff up and gobble XD

I was kinda thinking that, but wasnt sure. These were the eggs that were left behind after my hen was taken by something (never quite found out what) and I am so sad that she is gone. I have heard so many people tell me to not get into raising turkeys, that the poults are hard to get to eat and drink on their own and that they are notorious for drowning themselves in the waterer and are generally a pain, but these two have been amazing, so easy, and hatching went great too! I guess I had a hen and tom that knew what they were doing... now to find another nice hen somewhere...

that happens with my RP too i guess is normal, i got a day old right now, and the others are 10 weeks old they used to do that same thing but they seem to be ok.

yeah I think its just them feeling akward with the new feathers and the wingettes not having muscle tone to hold them up properly either...but like I said, I've had many chicks who've done it and others who didn't, but all stopped about the time the flight feathers came in good.

Back
Top Bottom