Poults just won't live!

mendozer

Crowing
13 Years
Feb 27, 2011
seattle
I got two poults thursday morning from the feed store. Tossed them in the brooder with my chicks (various ages 1 day to 4 weeks). Thursday evening, one's dead. Friday morning, the other's dead. Feed store says they'll let me bring them back. Got two more friday evening. Now saturday evening, ones dead and the other is super lazy. I dipped their beaks in the water and watched them both swallow. I haven't seen them eat but I don't stand around the brooder all day. I know turkeys are supposed to be harder than chickens but damn these birds are hopeless. 75% death rate so far. I even switched the electrolyte water out for plain from something I saw on here. I even got Purina Flock Raiser instead of my super expensive organic non GMO chick starter. what gives?

I got two poults thursday morning from the feed store. Tossed them in the brooder with my chicks (various ages 1 day to 4 weeks). Thursday evening, one's dead. Friday morning, the other's dead. Feed store says they'll let me bring them back. Got two more friday evening. Now saturday evening, ones dead and the other is super lazy. I dipped their beaks in the water and watched them both swallow. I haven't seen them eat but I don't stand around the brooder all day. I know turkeys are supposed to be harder than chickens but damn these birds are hopeless. 75% death rate so far. I even switched the electrolyte water out for plain from something I saw on here. I even got Purina Flock Raiser instead of my super expensive organic non GMO chick starter. what gives?
Turkey poults need a high protein turkey or game bird starter. Neither chick starter nor flock raiser is appropriate for them.

In small quantities, poults can be hard to keep alive.

They should not be on wood chips unless they are being supplied with appropriate sized grit. They can eat the wood chips and without grit in their system they cannot digest them and get plugged up and die.

Four week old chicks have far different heat requirements than do day old poults. I start my day old poults at 90°F measured at the bedding level.

They need warm water.

There really isn't a whole lot to go on here with the little amount of information that you have provided. They definitely should not be in with month old chicks.

Last edited:
I even got Purina Flock Raiser
Turkey poults need a much higher protein % than flock raiser, that would be ok as adults. As poults they need a turkey/gamebird starter around 28% protein. And the turkey/gamebird starter is much higher in Methionine and lysine which turkey poults also need. Don't believe that is your problem but it won't help. I would brood them separately.

It has 30%, the feed store told me to use that. Otherwise i have broiler feed too. the brooder has a mix of 1 day, 1 week, 2 week, 4 week chicks (one of each because various breeds). They didn't have gamebird starter. water is warm, under the lamp

also food shouldn't be the thing killing them in 24 hours

I even got Purina Flock Raiser instead
It has 30%, the feed store told me to use that.

Thought you said you were feeding this, it is 20% protein.
the brooder has a mix of 1 day, 1 week, 2 week, 4 week chicks
How are you handling the different temperature needs in brooder for this large age/temp differences? I would not brood your turkeys with your chicks as it can cause problems for your chickens later on. What variety of turkeys are you trying to raise, and for what purpose?
also food shouldn't be the thing killing them in 24 hours
Don't believe that is your problem but it won't help.

How are you handling the different temperature needs in brooder for this large age/temp differences? I would not brood your turkeys with your chicks as it can cause problems for your chickens later on. What variety of turkeys are you trying to raise, and for what purpose?

it's a large brooder with heat in the corner. the older chicks stay on the other side. I have never had various ages before. I'm only doing this because I added 6 varieties of chicks and they were available and different times from the store so i kept getting 1 or 2 at a time, weeks apart.

these are bourbon reds, just wanted to raise two with my meat chickens for thanksgiving

i should add i contacted some local breeders and they said the feed store ones are difficult bc they are mailed in and usually arrive 2-3 days without food/water. They suggested using a syringe to force egg yolk in their mouths but i can't do it one handed. darn thing doesn't want to open its mouth and sometimes it'll do a little opening for when i dip its beak in water. i've never had a bird not show interest for food or water but these poults are difficult. it's like they have no will to live.

Back
Top Bottom