Powdered Sulmet dosage for goat?

Blondie

Songster
12 Years
Feb 21, 2007
Sharpsburg, Georgia
My Coop
My Coop
There doesn't seem to be much activity on the backyardherds forum, so I am posting here.

I have a female about one year old. Has had "squishy" poop for many months now. I tried different wormers, Pepto Bismal, Pro-biotics, nothing works. She still eats and drinks and runs around with all the other goats, and acts just fine. The rest of the goats have normal poop.

About 5 days ago I gave them the edible goat wormer grain.

Today I found some bloody "squishy" poop, which I am sure is from her. Do you think it is the edible goat wormer? Do you think it's cocci? I keep the barn clean and dry and keep their waterers clean. We do have a creek that they drink out of. By the way, I cannot find a vet around here that will treat goats, so no use (again) pounding the phone.

I have some powdered Sulmet but cannot find a dosage to give her. She weighs about 75 pounds. Anyone know what dosage to give her? Any other suggestions? Thanks.

It takes awhile to build a site. I also don't see you as a member there so,
We would love to have you visit us at
and help us build the site.

If you can't find a vet to run a fecal, then you can mail a sample in to a lab.

STOP throwing chemicals into your goats! Especially if you don't actually know they are neede.

I know the dosage for powdered sulmet, but if your goats are ADULTS, coccidiosis is not very likely.

Get a fecal. If your goats aren't worth the small amount it costs to have one performed, they aren't worth having.

A far more likely culprit for runs in an adult animal is the diet. What is she eating?

Submitting a sample to WADDL will run you about $37. Do a google search for your state vet lab, they will more than likely be half that cost.

Last edited:
I've tried to work with the state before - I'll send a fecal to them and MAYBE get an answer in a month or so. I'm not going to wait that long. It's not about the $$$.

I feed my goats lots of hay, they free range on 3 acres, along with a small amount of grain. I use DE in their food and in their barn. They have free choice minerals and baking soda.

She is the only one with the problem. I have 9 others that are perfectly fine. I got good advice from the homesteading forum thread.

Thank you for your opinion.

Probably, it was simply from worming her. As the worms died and released from the intestines, you got a little blood coming through. I wouldn't worry about it as long as she is eating and of good weight.

Sulfamethazine goat dosages are 1cc per 5lbs.

Back
Top Bottom