Power it's and load shedding?

In a pinch, could you find a huge ice chest cooler or styrofoam box like aquarium fish are shipped to aquarium stores in, to set the incubator in when the power goes out?

I've also heard stories of people having a power outage for about two hours, maybe longer, and wrapped their incubator in a couple of quilts. When the power came back on, it had only lost somewhere around 10 degrees.

we have power outages here pretty much whenever there’s rain and strong wind. Of course this included the only time we had chicks inside, we covered the brooder with blankets until the power came back on, usually several hours later. It was nerve wracking but they survived

Solar works great for anything that needs electricity. A device that only needs 40 watt should be no problem with 1 small panel and a good battery.
(From: https://shopsolarkits.com/blogs/lea...atteries-do-i-need-for-a-100-watt-solar-panel) Typically, 100-watt solar panels have size measurements of around 47 x 21.3 x 1.4 inches. For a 100 watt solar panel, a 100 Ah 12V battery would work well.
All true. One just has to do the math.
40 watts is the lowest energy found in incubators. Like a Little Giant. I have an incubator that is 275 watts just for heating without the fans and lighting.
Still, heat production is the biggest drain on electric at whatever scale.

As an update, I managed to incubate and have 2 out of the 13 hatch. We on day 21 now so I don't think anymore will hatch. But I also put some of that down to my own incompetence and not power outages. Definitely learned a lot for the next batch.
Thanks all for the wonderful advice!

Nice, but you probably get more chicks. No pips? Normal sized chickens?. Please wait at least 2 more days for a final answer.
They Quail eggs, so on day 21 we already pushing it I think...
There is one that pipped yesterday but nothing's happened since and the hole where it pipped has gone dark yellow. But that's it.

I figured Lemme try with the quail first before buying chicken eggs as I have those readily available

Back
Top Bottom