Power out 23 hours-hatching issues?????


9 Years
Jun 29, 2010
Rincon, GA

I have five incubators going with Chickens, Ducks and Geese. Many are rare and on the ALBC List so I really don't want to lose them and need some advice and guidance. The power went out here from a VERY large snowstorm and was out from Sunday around 8:30 until close to 7:00 Monday night. We have a large Harmon Woodstove and put the Incubators around the Stove to try to keep them warm. One got down to 75 degrees for a couple hours - those eggs have been in the incubator about 10 days, the others we were able to maintain a temp between 85 and 90 degrees. Here's the dilemma - I have Silver Phoenix and Salmon Favorelle in this one along with some Pharoah Quail that are due to hatch today/tomorrow - will this dip at day 18 have made them not viable? No egg "movement" so to speak but I can see that they are in there just no noticeable movement - of course I'm trying to handle very very little at this point too.
I also have Silkies, Blue Andalusians and Nankins that are ready to stop being turned this Saturday so will this affect them as well. Should I just continue to candle my Black Sumatra, Cubalayas and Seabrights, Silver Hamburgs and all the other breeds and hope for movement or is it a lost cause at this point?

Thanks again for your advice and help!

Some of us have had power outages for a day and still have a decent hatch. I'm saying they have slowed down and may not hatch out right on day 21 but you should see some hatching. Good luck!
I think I would just wait and see. You may have a little bit of a delayed hatch but as long as the humidity stayed right you should be ok.

Thanks so much for the info! That makes me feel so much better! I had lost a partial incubator full of Silkies, Pumpkin Hulseys, GL/SL Wyandottes and Cochins about a month ago due to a family emergency and I had to go out of town. The eggs were hatching left and right and doing the egg dance when I left but when I got back they had stopped - come to find out that for over two days no one added water to the incubator and I lost about 25 chickies - I opened a good bit of the eggs after waiting 30 days to make sure nothing would happen and the hatchlings were in the egg but must have not had enough fluids to pip out. Luckily I did get about 20 out of the other eggs from those that hatched before I left and those that were in hatch mode prior to running out of water in the 'bator.

Needless to say, I really don't want to lose anymore due to snafu's of water or heat again this time.

I'll definitely wait a few days then.

Thanks again!


New posts New threads Active threads

Top Bottom