power out for four days

mamadukes5

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 14, 2011
Easthampton, Mass
had a snow storm here on Saturday and the power has been out for four days now. I had 8 eggs in the incubator that I have had sitting next to the fireplace since the power went out. Thermometer read between 97 and 100, depending where I moved the eggs to. Humidity is anybody's guess. Anyone have any ideas about the survivability of my chicks? I'm not holding out much hope, but wondered if anyone else has experience with anything like this. The days without power were days 11-15, should I just give up on them or see what happens? I know they would have died if I left them in the 'bator, so figured moving them near the heat might give them a chance. Any thoughts?

candel them if you have move ment you are doing good keep going
hugs.gif

I have read several places that you do nothing when the power goes out. Get the bator back up to temp asap when it comes on, and your eggs may hatch as many days late as the power was out. I have not had this happen yet. So keep us updated. But I would not give up on them yet.
fl.gif
fl.gif

Lost power Saturday night. Woke up to eggs in incubator at 53 degrees. Oh my whatever... whish I had a fireplace but instead I had a grill. My son was telling me they were dead and why bother trying. I was thinking before I throw them out I need to candle them and to do that I had to get them warm and toasty. There I was trudging through a foot of wet cold snow for about three hours. On again off again. I figured by then they should be happy eggs. So I candled them and was so shocked to find that half of them were viable. Talk about wow. So I took the 6 remaining eggs to my broody -hen to keep warm until we got power back. Yesterday the incubator was back on and the eggs were warmed. I did candle them and lost 2 but I still have 4 that look surprisingly well. They are supposed to hatch this Wednesday. I hope your eggs hatch. Good luck.

I tried candling, but they are all dark brown eggs...can't see a thing in there. Day 21 is this Wednesday, so will have to wait and see. I had hatched a couple of batches of white eggs, but wanted to try the brown ones from my RI reds (?) and two black sex-links (?) and see what kind of chicks came of it all. Will wait until Wednesday and see if any of them made it through. Thanks for the thoughts, worst thing about being without power was I couldnt come on here and get advice.

Back
Top Bottom