Power Outage And High Temps, Is There Any Hope????

newchickens2009

Songster
12 Years
May 18, 2009
BAHAMAS
Well, I Got Home On Saturday Night With My Eggs And Turned On My Incubator. Got It Stable And On Sunday And At 8 Pm Put In The Eggs. Had A Family Emergency Shortly After And Had To Leave. Only To Return On Tuesday To Find That The Temperature Was Up To 102.7 And That On Monday The Power Was Off For About 2hrs. I Have Since Stabled The Temp Between 99.5 And 100.2. Is There Any Hope For These Eggs Or Have They Been Ruined Because Of The Power Outage, The High Temp Of 102.7 Or Both? IS THERE ANYTHING ELSE THAT I SHOULD DO? THIS IS ONLY MY SECOUND HATCH INCUBATING AND IT WILL BE HEART BREAKING IF I HAVE TO THROW THEM OUT?
hit.gif

Last edited:
Sending tons of good hatching vibes your way.
Is it a still air bator or a circulated air..... 102 is a little high but my guess is that they would be fine. They are pretty forgiving in the early stages of incubation.

Last edited:
I don't have much more hatching experience myself but I also think you will be ok. With my last hatch (also still air) I had high temp spikes... to 103.3 early on and had 3 out of 6 make it.

Good hatching vibes comming your way!
fl.gif

I am working on getting my new incubator stablized so I can put in the silkie eggs that should be arriving today with another box maybe tomorrow.

Last edited:
I had a hatch on 12/12 that survived 2 power outages....1st one on day 3 or 4 can't remember which and 2nd outage on day 17.....the 2nd one is the one that really had me scared. 31 out of 38 hatched. Go figure!

pinkchick: How long was your power out on the 17th day? Did they hatch on day 21? Had something similar happen here...so I am wondering how mine might do. Thanks!

Out for 19 hours on day 3 and out for 5 or 6 on day 17. I moved the incubator close to the woodstove. I used a bottled water bottle and filled it with the warmest water I could get from the tap and put it in there. Put a towel over it making sure to keep the vent holes clear and managed to keep it at 96 degrees. In the first outage I was not here but I do know that the temp dropped to 73 degrees that time but who knows for how long.
All babies hatched one day late and many many more than I expected.

Last edited:
I had an incubator go to 134 degrees, yes 134 and two of the chicks hatched anyway. One made it. Extended hot of over 105106 for long periods is far more deadly than cooling. 102 something really shouldn't be a problem. My first homemade used to cycle in that range and I still hatched chicks.

Yes, good hatching vibes goming your way!!!!!!! I don't think 102 is too bad but I would look into getting a fan. It really helps to keep cool and hot spots at bay. Fingerscrossed for ya!

Back
Top Bottom