Power Outage-Keep or Toss?

For-The-Love-Of-Chickens

Songster
10 Years
Apr 8, 2009
Washington State
We had an unexpected power outage last night that ended up lasting 9 hours. It was the hottest it has been around here this weekend, so the temp inside our house quickly made it into the upper 80's. Since there seemed to be no reason for the outage, we expected the power to be on rather quickly, so we didn't do anything with our fridge to prepare for a lengthy outage.
barnie.gif

Well, it got warm in the fridge. Salad dressings were separated and general yuckiness had started.
sickbyc.gif
I'm really big on food safety and tossed everything that was milk or egg based. My question is about the four dozen chicken eggs that we have in there that we have collected over the past 4 weeks. If they were store bought eggs, I would have tossed them without hesitation, but I am not sure about these.

So, I am asking all of you wise BYCers. Would you keep them or toss them? They would be to eat.

Thanks!

I'd think the eggs would be fine. I only refridgerate mine in the summer, and never had any go bad.

We had an outage a couple weeks ago during a heatwave. I had all of my pillsbury biscuit & crescent dough in the door. It was all "popped" the next day. Same thing with the frescheta rising crust pizzas
lau.gif

I think they'll be fine. Lost of people don't refridgerate their eggs at all. I leave mine out in a bowl sometimes... just out on the counter, when it's cool. I'd say keep them.

Back
Top Bottom