1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Power Outage, will my chicks hatch??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by srt4chick, Sep 23, 2011.

1. srt4chick

srt4chick New Egg

Sep 8, 2011
    Hey, y'all! Last night my power went out in my barn and my eggs are on day 16 in my incubator. The temp. got down to 89.4 degrees. These are my lavender orpingtons that I have waited and waited for and FINALLY won my auction, then when they arrived, 3 of the eggs were broken. When I candled them, only 5 looked fertile. So, now do I have ANY chance at having my Lavender babies hatch?? Please help me! I am so heart broken over this!!
    I live in So. Indiana and there are not very many Lavenders around that I could find. If you are reading this and know of anyone with lav. orpington chicks in the So. Indiana, or KY or even Western OH area please let me know!! I've got all my fingers crossed and saying prayers that my babies will hatch ok!! [​IMG]

2. clairabean

clairabean Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Kootenays of BC!
    Oh sure. The eggs don't lose temp like the air does. They stay warm for awhile. And a bit of a temp fluctuation will not hurt them.

3. bobbieschicks

bobbieschicks Chicken Tender

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    I had to unplug the bator for almost 2 hours while my DH worked on the electrical line & the chicks still hatched out fine. We had 6 out of 13 hatch.

4. Melissa Rose

Melissa Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2011
    South Texas
    Hi [​IMG]
    I know how you feel I have had three deliveries of Lavendar Orpingtons destroyed on their way here! I finally have a dozen now (but she sent 15 [​IMG] [​IMG] !!!!) that are at 9 - 10 days and looking really good [​IMG] and going nicely in the incubator [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Cham1704 is in Texas but she wrapped the eggs incredibly [​IMG] I think they would have gone across Country fine! If those do fail - lets hope not though [​IMG] - you should keep her in mind! Even the Marans eggs that were part of the same auction are doing really good [​IMG] I hope I am getting better with my "technique"! I had my humidity too high the first time so I hope these will go all the way just fine [​IMG] [​IMG]

Quote:

5. shelby528

shelby528 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Ontario
    Yeah they should be ok..I had a terrible time with 2 hatches ago..power was out for 3 hours and lost 165 out 200...but hoping yours hatch just fine *good vibes* [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by