Power outage

ijon

Songster
9 Years
Jan 11, 2012
Here we go again. It wasn't enough that a storm killed a hatch of heritage Delaware eggs. I had another storm last night on my test hatch mutt eggs. It will be interesting to see what effect this one will have.

Here we go again. It wasn't enough that a storm killed a hatch of heritage Delaware eggs. I had another storm last night on my test hatch mutt eggs. It will be interesting to see what effect this one will have.
How long has it been I ve had broodys off there nest 5 and 6 hours at a time and eggs still hatched

Depending on what stage they're at, and how healthy the parents were specifically the mother, they will either die or all be fine. Eggs can be amazingly resilient, right up to the point of hatching. I used to think, like many others, that letting them go cold was the end of it, but experience has since taught me that they're fine with going cold, even overnight, as long as they're healthy enough and not actually hatching.

Hope yours are also fine. I'd think, being mutts, they will probably be more resilient.

Throw a comforter over the incubator when the power goes out to try and keep the heat in as long as possible.
You can get a 12v incubator that normally runs on a 110v converter for day to day then when the power goes out can plug into a 12v cigar lighter or clip on a battery. When brooding you can put a big rock or brick directly under the heat lamp. That will give them something warm for hours in an outage.
Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom