Power Outage

MelissaBA

Chirping
5 Years
Jul 10, 2014
I'm on pins and needles right now, I just put eggs in my incubator last night. My luck, power went out at 2:30 this morning. I put blankets over the incubator to help hold the heat in. I kept a check on it and when the power came back on at 6:00 the temperature had got down to 80 degrees. Since this was the first day of incubation do you think the eggs will be ok?

I had a similar experience earlier this week. I put up a post about it. Two power outages on day two and three in fairly cold conditions for well over a total of 13 hours. At day six now with 10/12 developing eggs. I think they'll be fine.

When a brood hen sets on eggs she will get off every day, sometimes for an hour or so. It is natural I think for the eggs to cool during incubation. I have been thru many power outages and it doesn't usually affect the hatch very much as long as they are not in .the process of hatching.
smile.png

Today, two days after hatch day was due, we have 5 chicks and two eggs peeping out of 9. No doubt the three power outages over a total nearly a full day slowed things down. But so far things have worked out reasonably well.

Back
Top Bottom