Power Outages! How do you keep the eggs warm?

ScissorChick

Songster
9 Years
Dec 17, 2010
Under Your bed
We are having some rough weather today. Power outage at 6 this morning, and Just now came

back on! And we're having more, and worse storms later. Well, I had an incubator with ten

eggs in it, and luckily, I had a broody hen to stick them under. My question is...How do you

keep eggs warm when the power is out? Other than putting them in the car.
tongue.png
I'm saving up

for another batch, and don't want the same thing to happen with them.

Thanks

~ScissorChick

I know I've said it a lot lately. Get an inverter from Walmart or other big box store. A 400W is $19, they plug into the cigarette lighter of your car and can run your incubator in case of power outage, as well as a light or two. Very easy to use.

Inverter Link

Good luck!!

We have a little Honda generator, and it came in real handy when I hatched my first batch of the year.......The power went out during lockdown of all times! Hubby was so nice, he started the generator for me and we plugged the incubator right in! (Using a long extension cord, of course.)

I have a 1500 watt inverter and a marine battery.Not really cheap but very portable and can be used for many different things.This one will even run my microwave.I was woke up at 3:30 this morning to some bad weather.I watched the news and it seemed to be calming down so I went back to bed about 6.I hadnt even got under the covers when the power went out.I got back up and hooked up my inverter and the power stayed off over 4 hours.These inverters are very useful and I would recommend you get the biggest one you can afford.My first one was fine to run a small fan or light but not much else.Good luck and be safe.These stroms are pretty scary today.
smile.png

We've had some awful storms in the last several days. We had a 44 hour power outage about a week ago. My Dad and brother immediately got the generator started (in the pouring rain) and helped me plug in my four incubators (one hatching, one on day 18, and two on about day 7), our freezers and fridges... and the coffee pot.
roll.png
Both hatches went very well! The two that were hatching/close to hatching only fell 1F, and the other two fell 4F in the 30 minutes or so it took us to get everything set up. It was kinda neat, because two of the incubators were side by side, but the day 18 eggs were making a lot more body heat than the day 7 eggs.
smile.png

I highly recommend getting a generator! In our area, nearly everyone has a generator... They are practically necessary, because we on average have about two 24-72 hour power outages every year, and most everyone here owns at least one chest freezer.

After two power outages...last hatch and again this hatch I have these things on standby.

I have ordered the inverter that shadowgrass posted a link for from walmart. It will be enough to have a light for the two week old chicks and to keep the incubator running.

However, I did use two liter bottles filled with hot water. Several for the chicks. One on the incubator that I covered with a down jacket and a blanket. Got me through three hours.

Generator is wonderful, but if you don't have one keep everything closed. A friend has some that went 7 hours and still hatched. Wrap blankets around for insulation. I had chicks in tubs and added candles in jars in with them and they did fine. They really hugged the glass. My hatches were fine after 2 hours before adding the generator. Had decent hatches from all 3 bathces. I have learned we have to plan ahead for these things because we know it will happen sometime when we live in the paths of tornado and thunder storms.

Thankyou for all the answers. Our power JUST came back on from the second round

of storms we got. It's absolutely horrible. I'm so thankful me and my family are ok.

My grandparents just got 4 chicks, and they got blown away. The next day, they

came running out from under a bunch of rubble and stopped at my Papa's feet like

they wanted him to pick him up. How they survived? I have no idea. We named them

Lucky 1, Lucky 2, Lucky 3, and Lucky 4
tongue.png
...Sorry I'm getting off subject, but anyways,

I think we've all decided to start saving for a generator.
smile.png

-ScissorChick :)

Last edited:
Quote:
Mine came in the mail today!!!

but hot water bottles.....because your hot water heater still has hot water in it.....I used two liter bottles for the chicks and also put one on top of the incubator and covered with a down jacket and then a blanket. I have an egg o meter and the temp got down to 88 degrees in a three hour outage. I have since candled and ALL show movement.

Back
Top Bottom